Osprey Atmos 65

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Osprey Atmos 65

Post by oldranger »

Just got my Atmos 65 modified so it will be much more convent to use.

Side pockets expanded so they will accept a water bottle or fishing rod case when the pack is full. (factory design is really stupid as pockets are useless when pack is full.

Had 4 tiedown points added to the lid so I can carry my Big Agnes flycreek UL1 externally and vertically up. The pack now has more capacity than I can carry!

Now the pack is truly an upgraded version of the old Exos 58, but 1 lb heavier.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Osprey Atmos 65

Post by maverick »

Any pic's of it, and where did you get it modified Mike?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Here you go mav:

The shop:

The product:
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8195.jpg
IMG_8194.jpg
All work was first rate. The repairer actually took out original seams and placed new material into the seams before sewing pockets back together--it looks like something Osprey should have done in the first place. The pocket on the other side was expanded as well. Retro fitting was not cheap, though-- $65. If Osprey did it right the first time couldn't have added but $5 to the pack cost.But now I have the pack I wanted, not the one they sold.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Mike, that does make it much more funtionable. Recommend the idea to
Osprey too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mav

I did, no response to pocket complaint. Said top tie anchors not needed due to capacity of pack.
???????

Mike
Mike

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm thinking Osprey might not fix your pack for free anymore after the modifications. I've been surprised before though. Looks like you have to rely on Marks field sewing skills for awhile.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Amazed that gear manufacturers now design packs where you cannot reach a water bottle while wearing a full pack. Seems like a no-brainer. Not everyone uses bladders.

A few questions:
Did you customize both your Atmoses?
Or are you waiting until the other needs more work too before sending it in?

Does this mean I don't have to carry a sewing kit for your pack?
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mark

I have one Atmos, 2 Exos. The Exos already has the features that is why I was able to load over 50 lbs in a 58 liter pack.

Russ,

I considered that but why have a pack that doesn't work the way you want it to?

Mike
Mike

oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Looks good. Just curious though, what kind of bear can do you carry and where does it fit? I tried an Atmos 65 and could only get my can to fit vertically in the main compartment or horizontally strapped on top of the main bag.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

OH

Bearikade Weekender, just squeezes down far enough to fit horizontally at the top. Another difference from the Exos 58 which can easily accept the Bearikade. I think it might also fit in the bottom compartment, but I haven't tried that out.

Mike
Mike