advice on a new tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: advice on a new tent

Post by rlown »

I've used my trekking poles with the double rainbow when i couldn't stake her out due to lack of adequate soil. I didn't like that approach per others comments. It got me through.

One thing to note on the trekking pole spread. The little cups on the end of the tarp tent doesn't really fit the BD cork poles. They would come off. Either not deep enough or designed against different poles. I used mini bungee cords to secure the ends. Also with the double rainbow, she was at max for my BD pole extension. right on the edge.

Kind of comes back to staked or freestanding though. both choices have advantages. Good luck with your quest.

You could just buy 2 tents. :D We all have quivers of gear.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Good point on the freestanding vs staked. Even with my current freestanding tent, I typically have to use rocks to stake it out as I'm not usually on good soil (or any soil at all). I might have problems getting a taut pitch on a non-freestanding tent staked with rocks. 2 new tents? I'm already splurging this year as I'm also looking at trying out a quilt. :nod:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

if you can't get a taut pitch with rocks find better rocks!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!