Osprey Exos 48 vs Kestrel 48?? Help

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Jes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Osprey Exos 48 vs Kestrel 48?? Help

Post by Jes »

I'm stuck deciding between these two packs for what I'm considering to be my go to for a 2-3 night trips. The Exos (2 lb 5 oz) is much lighter, but the Kestrel (3 lb 5 oz) is more durable. I've read review after review based on the opinions of each, and they both seem to be excellent. Can anyone help which would be the better buy? It also seems exos holds the water bladder in the interior pack and the kestrel holds in the exterior. Your opinions well help me very much, thank you. Also is this too much, being 48 liters or should i go down to 38? Btw I have pretty light gear for the most part. Not the lightest in the world, but decent.

-Jes
Last edited by Jes on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Osprey Exos 48 vs Kestrel 48?? Help

Post by Rockchucker »

You need to know the weight and volume of the gear your taking. Then take your gear to the store and try both out, plus a few more. Decide which one fits and feels the best and get that one. As a side note I love the Exos series of packs, they are very nice. The 14 version has a new fabric, only time will tell if it is durable. Osprey has an awesome warranty.
I'm no suture for my future.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

What Rockchucker said. the Exos 58 is so light I use it as a day pack on layover days and I have used it on everything from 1 night to two weeks (probably way overloaded but it worked). I sent in my Exos 58 a couple of times for repairs, the third time they sent me a new one!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

If you're on the fence, I'd say go for the lighter one. A pound is a significant weight savings.
Jes
Topix Novice

Post by Jes »

Thanks guys! Going to the local REI and will be trying a few out with my gear. I just wanted to make sure that the Exos could put up with a week or more worth of backpacking. Although I do not know my exact base weight, it's definitely around 16 give or take. Will find out later today.