Question about Handheld GPS/Maps...

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question about Handheld GPS/Maps...

Post by rlown »

you're probably right about the investment. If you know the lakes in which you fish, you will not catch a ball in the rocks.

But.. You could get those fancy automated downriggers that adjust based on their own sonar.. $$$

My downriggers are manual, and yes, the chart or electronic chart tells me what i need to do to adjust.

you still (as you point out) have to adjust your depth depending on lake depth. I hate reservoir stumps..

Russ
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Stumps and random boulders are definitely not on the maps, requiring one to learn the lake....usually by hitting those stumps and random boulders #-o

I have Scotty electrics and hitting the button to raise them up is a lot easier then cranking the handle...been there and don't want to do that if possible. Looked at the jigging option, Cannon's, when I was equipping my boat but it was a function I would rarely use and I just liked the ease of use and look of the Scotty's better.

BTW, some of the areas I fish out of my boat are mostly around the Fresno area: Bass, Shaver, Mammoth Pool, Huntington, San Luis, Pine Flat, etc. But have fished a lot in the eastern sierras, Tahoe area, Portola/Quincy area and the delta during salmon season. This year, taking the boat to Canada and fishing along hwy 24--The Fishing Highway :D Another reason for a new GPS
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

guessing you're not really looking at Marine maps for US AND Canada as they seem to be separate base maps from Garmin.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on ... 55-p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otherwise it could get expensive. And those maps are different from the 24k "hiking" maps, so not a lot of leverage there. (It's called marketing and margin :) )

Canada sounds fun though.

Device speed doesn't really matter, as you'll be trolling. You only get strange markers on the GPS when you start and acquire signals. those are bogus. when your device gives you an approximate good range, you're good to go.