Bear Cannisters | High Sierra Topix  

Bear Cannisters

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Bear Cannisters

Postby rightstar76 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:52 pm

After last summmer's 7 day backpacking trip to Rae Lakes, my wife and I decided to go lightweight. We both carried a large BearVault (BV-400) which broke our backs. Now they are sitting in our back room and we don't know what to do with them as we don't have a lot of room. Next summer we plan to use either the Ursack (provided it's still allowed) or a small BearVault. What have other people done when they no longer had use for their bear cannisters and didn't have extra room to keep them?

rightstar76
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby hikerduane » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Sell them or turn them into planters in the backyard like folks have done with their old toliets. :lol: When I was acquiring my Wilderness permit at TM in Yosemite last Saturday the young fella there showed me a list of Ursack failures this last Summer in the Park. They were not in just one area. It seems to be only the newer, upgraded TKO's. As I mentioned on a topic I started before my trip, I have the TKO made with the older material and was waiting to see if I had any encounters on my trip. I did not see a bear, track or scat. They must be like the summer bpers and only do there thing in nicer weather. I'm hoping for a lightweight solution again for this coming year, as my weight in August for a 8 day trip which I only stayed out 7 days was 30 lbs. with the TKO w/insert.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Postby rightstar76 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:41 am

Thank you hikerduane for your suggestion. This summer my wife and I will hopefully be able to get our packs to weigh as light as yours was.
rightstar76
Topix Regular

Postby Snow Nymph » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:05 pm

I sold mine. Take it with you on your next trip. Someone at the ranger station might want to buy one (if they're renting)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix