jeans vs ???

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: jeans vs ???

Post by Mike M. »

Still swear by my kelty tioga external frame pack. :)
I second that. I upgraded from an old North Face external frame pack in the late 80s to a Kelty Super Tioga and it is the most comfortable pack I've ever owned -- and cavernous if you need to carry big loads. That was in the days when before Kelty went strap-happy and bloated their packs with 2 lbs of unnecessary thingies. Is thingie a word?

Mike M.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Mike M. wrote:I always wear Levis shrink-to-fit original cotton jeans when I backpack. They are tough as nails and very comfortable in a variety of conditions. Never had a pair split out on me.

All this "cotton kills" talk seems to me to be coming from people who should know better -- perhaps they are too susceptible to the marketing efforts of the companies that benefit from selling synthetics.

FInd a search and rescue professional who recommends cotton.

I dare ya. Won't happen.

We get to pick up the pieces. Or, then there is the fun of listening to the whiner in the heavy wet jeans for miiiiilllllleeeesssss.

Have also had wet cotton blend and not had joy - synthetics and wool for me, good bye constant chilly feeling.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

FInd a search and rescue professional who recommends cotton.

I dare ya. Won't happen.
Interesting you say that, AlmosTthere. Take a look at Bob Rockwell's Flickr photos and you'll notice lots of cotton t's (photos of him in the backcountry wearing cotton t's on climbs and hikes). He's a veteran S&R pro. So there are differing views, each with merit. Are you also this passionate about synthetic fill sleeping bags?

Cotton does not kill. Down does not kill. Stupid kills.

Mike M.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please, let's not add several posts to this otherwise decent thread just to prove
a point, each has made it, now let's move on. Thank you.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Yeah, the tired old 'cotton kills' hyperbole is not valid. Never was. Now just a trite buzzphrase.

I sometimes wear jeans during the summer if the weather forecast is favorable. Not if rain is in the forecast or plan on wet crossings. Crashing through brush and slash, scrambling over lava off-trail will destroy my synthetic pants. I also have not had any problems with chafing. They are a bit heavier and hotter. It is a trade off I make.

I also carry a back up pair of synthetics in my pack if needed. But I tend to carry enough gear even in my day pack for an emergency 48 hr bivy. I overkill.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

on another thread richlong wrote

I have "blown out" more than one pair of nylon shorts and pants while hiking. I sometimes wonder if going back to jeans would be easier( definitely cheaper)!

In the old days (50s through 70s I wore jeans always a new pair washed several times. I blew out several pairs. Since then I have relied on synthetics and have not had that problem. Have had couple pairs resewn along seams when they seemed a little worn but the fabric seems much more resistant to wearing and tearing but maybe I'm just not as tough on my pants as I used to be now that I'm an old fart.
I haven't worn jeans for many years, but it was more of quip?! than a serious suggestion in my original post. But duct tape has come in handy when my pants or shorts have torn. I need to buy better quality lightweight pants. :nod:
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I prefer going commando in running shorts with the liner removed. They get rinsed out daily and dry out quickly. They are light enough that I have a 2nd pair to wear if the first are wet or damaged. The ventilation keeps down the sweat and skin rub. When conditions are cold or when doing bushwhacking I put on nylon pants. I can't stand being in long pants all day. I just feel too hot. I can see how jeans might be comfy in the colder months but would be pretty useless if they get wet.

If you wear jeans, I would recommend something synthetic as an alternative if conditions get wet.
Jeff