Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Post by AlmostThere »

Snowtrout wrote:
I think collapsible or pieces that break down for carrying is possible if designed right. For example, this product that has yet to be released might have potential: http://www.camp4outdoors.com/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think those are the folks that sent me a questionnaire about features of bear canisters.

I don't like that there are fiddly little latches. Every piece of gear I've ever used with fiddly bits gets clogged, jammed or broken eventually. Not too sure the round shape is a good idea.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I have also wondered why it was at an outdoor trade show a few years ago but as of yet, not released. Getting certification might be the sticking point. But I think they are trying to address issues most, including myself, have with current canisters: the weight and size of them. Being able to split the canister in half allows two people to share the weight of the canister and splitting it makes a flat surface, making it easier to put in ones pack. Good for partners or groups but no real advantage for soloist that have a present canister.

I just like the idea that companies are thinking outside of the box and coming up with new ideas.

A question though for those that have an Ursack. I have often thought that having a single attach point allows bears to mouth, pull, and move the bag (creating a tether ball effect) could possibly allow them to get better leverage on the sack, leading to a failure. Would adding a second attach/anchor point at the bottom of the sack (preventing the tether ball effect) be a improvement over the present design?
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Post by wanderin.jack »

Hum, same problem as with the URSACK. Makes a poor stool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We have 3 Bearikade expeditions and a weekender and haven't worried about a bear in years. We used to hang food in the 1990s and lose sleep keeping the bears away. We get a lot of use out of the containers when doing the laundry or doing a body wipe bath away from any stream. The cost is reasonable when you buy them and use them year after year. They also make nice camp stools. I have one Ursack that I used for a few trips as an overflow food storage solution. We have gotten much better at doing our own home dried food and no longer have the bulk of freeze dried food so space isn't a problem.
Jeff