Ursack approved in Inyo Forest? | High Sierra Topix  

Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Postby John Harper » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:07 am

I have been considering trying the Ursack on a trip to Cottonwood Lakes this year. From the website, it looks like it has approval for that area?

I have a Bare Boxer Contender, but was trying to lighten the load and bulk. Searched the forums, but was not seeing current information on approval.

John

John Harper
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Re: Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Postby maverick » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am

HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby markskor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:27 am

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm

"What's going on with Ursack?

January 6, 2014
It has been more than seven months since we tested Ursack for the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) at the Grizzly Discovery Center, and there is still-despite repeated requests-no response. Many wilderness areas, e.g. Yosemite and SEKI, have delegated bear canister testing to the IGBC. Until there is a response, Ursack is in limbo."

At this time it appears, still not legal.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby John Harper » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm

It says on the product page that it is approved for Inyo National Forest. Is this accurate?

I'm not going to be in Yosemite nor SEKI.

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm

John
John Harper
Topix Regular

Postby maverick » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:52 pm

You are correct, they are not required there.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby markskor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Intrigued, so I walked down to the local Mammoth Ranger place...they did not know either, but gave me the Lone Pine number... I called.
According to the Lone Pine Ranger...
"Last year Ursack filed a suit in some California court about being approved - and won.
Thus, in the Whitney Zone and surrounding National Forest lands, (while the Rangers there still do not approve of their being used)...they will not bust anyone if caught using one - IE Horseshoe Meadows -> Cottonwoods." As she put it, "They still are not approved but for now, we look the other way."
The problem is when/if you cross over to SEKI, where they are still not allowed...still subject to fines."
Interesting.
markskor

Postby wanderin.jack » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:17 am

FYI, I've used an URSACK for years and love it. I know an outfitter that uses them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Postby markskor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 am

wanderin.jack wrote:FYI, I've used an URSACK for years and love it. I know an outfitter that uses them as well.

Confused...(again) -
wanderin.jack...Does this mean you use your Ursack only in areas still allowed? :thumbsup:
or -
You use them in all areas Sierra? :thumbsdown:
markskor

Postby wanderin.jack » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:13 pm

My understanding is that under the terms of the lawsuit only Yosemite NP can enforce a ban on ursacks. I also have a bearikade.

Please note that I use to live in and hike a lot in Yellowstone and I am very very careful in bear country. I've had friend get on the wrong side of a griz. I know we have a very different bear here in CA but I learned good habits early. Frankly, in the Sierra I am much more concerned about the small critters than the big ones.

Wanderin' Jack
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Postby Rockchucker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I sure hope we can start using ursack everywhere in the sierras. I know it's not perfect, but used properly they can be very effective.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Postby wanderin.jack » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:03 pm

I'm really not some anti-govt wacko type but jeez man, read this from a ranger: http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm. These regs make about as much sense as "boil water for 5 minutes" to purify it. Total crazy bs in the Sierra. No one can carry that much fuel. The nps and usfs gets wacked out of shape when someone doesn't close an URSACK properly and their is a problem with the equipment but when a hikers don't close lids properly on a conventional canister and the bear tips that over (as a bear around thousand is lake has been been) they pass on that as being a user error and not a problem with the canister. Seems all the same to me.

I think the official position is that there is no official position at this time, I.e limbo. I bought mine the one year they were "legal" whatever that means and some bozo didn't close one right and got cleaned out. I'm not that person. Until someone can show me in the federal registry that I can't use an URSACK I am going to do so and I'm going to use it properly along with other proper precautions a prudent person should take in bear country. The problem is "used properly" by the lowest common denominator, I.e. The person that really shouldn't be out there in the first place and also catches their face on fire with their alcohol stove. I'm not the person they are worried about.

Wanderin' Jack
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Postby Rockchucker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:23 pm

I just went into the ranger station here in Bishop and the first person told me no they are not allowed, then they called the main office and recanted their statement. The Urasack is legal in all of Inyo National forest although they arn't effective. Weird response but looks like they are ok.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix