What do you use for rain gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

What do you use for rain gear?

Post by Baffman »

I've always carried my poncho for rain, but in my last heavy rain I wasn't real happy with it. Yes, it was raining very hard and the wind was blowing hard, but still, I can do better. The poncho blows all over the place and water still runs down my legs and into my boots. I'm not real sure what to buy though. Maybe a separate protector (trash bag?) for my pack and rain pants and coat? Of course weight is a concern. I'm curious what others out there are using.

Baffman
revhobo
Topix Acquainted

Post by revhobo »

I have a very light and thin hooded jacket and pants from Champion. It's nothing special, but they're really light, take little space in the pack, and the pants go over my boots. They're supposed to be breathable, too. They are okay but not stellar in that respect. I only did fairly light hiking in them during rain.

Did I mention they were cheap? ;)

I am sure you can find good breathable jacket/pants from the modern membrane fabrics, but they would probably be somewhat on that expensive side.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

@$65 they weren't cheap, but I bought a Gram Weinie top made out of silnylon I believe. The weight is great, around 3 or 4 oz. Size of a hardball. I didn't by the bottoms since my legs get wet it seems anyway and it only rains when it is warm in the Summer anyway. Right!
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Marmot Precip jacket and pants.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I use a poncho, usually in combo with some sort of w/p/b jacket and pants which help keep the rain and wind out (homemade). I also bring plastic garbage bags which I wrap important things in like sleeping bag and extra clothes so they don't get wet. I can't really endorse any particular brand, but I've heard good things about the marmot precip and also, the cheeper froggtoggs (which I've heard work very well, but are prone to ripping if your hiking through areas with a lot of brush).
DJG
Founding Member

Post by DJG »

I use the marmot precip jacket and pants also. Maybe a bit bulky and others might breathe better (mine are a few years old at this point) but when I put them on in the evenings or mornings over whatever else I have on I can lay about outside and feel toasty. Great for that morning cup of coffee or that last long quiet gaze at the stars before retiring. Besides that, they keep me dry when its actually raining, no binding with the bp gear on.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Gortex jacket and pants from LL Bean. I also use them for layering if it gets cool/cold.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I've used my poncho for years and have always been happy with it - it covered my backpack and my upper body stayed dry, but I did have the same problem as Baffman in that my legs still got wet. I finally started using super-light rain pants - I think they're made by a company called H2O (or something like that). They work great - I use them when I go running in the rain.

I really like the poncho, though, because it's so versatile - it can be used as a ground cloth to sort food, supplies, etc. if you don't want to go into the tent, you can use it to carry a load of laundry up to your line... we used our poncho to rig up a door for the Whitney Hut while it was down this summer... well, heck - mix it with a little duct tape and the possibilities are endless :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I have two ponchos laying around somewhere if anyone wants them. They're the old REI ponchos with snaps down the sides. One is full size and one is my size. I thought they were a little heavy.

We were in a monsoon once in AZ, and those with ponchos got drenched. They did what they could to not get blown away. Ponchos were flying over their heads as they were holding on to trees.

I also use the precips for layering in the morning or evening, or for wind protection
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Hey thanks for all the ideas/alternatives. Snow Nymph's last post about being blown all around and getting wet anyway was my last experience with a poncho. It was better than nothing though. I do like that I can use it to cover my pack while hiking, but I've also used it as a small shelter and to wrap my pack up in at night during intense thunderstorms. I'm leaning towards a coat and pants and I'll have to decide what to use to protect my pack. I'm not carrying a poncho and the pants/coat combo. The poncho has worked very well for me in the past, but that particular trip wasn't windy as well. Throw in the wind and I had soaked legs leading the soaked feet.