New gear.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: New gear.

Post by Rockchucker »

I would love a wide pads that's torso length, I mostly sleeper curled up and could easily be fine on something say 54" long and 26" wide. I know guys cut and reweld the pad but I'm way to chicken to cut a $200 pad.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Seems depending on which prolite you have but the reg is 16 oz and the long is 22oz.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I have the standard which is 16oz.
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Rockchucker,
Thanks for the review of the ExPed mat. I definitely like a comfortable night's sleep so that extra width is something I'm willing to splurge on, plus that pad will also save me some weight. Sounds like a perfect birthday present to myself come springtime.
Chris
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

old and slow wrote:Rockchucker,
Thanks for the review of the ExPed mat. I definitely like a comfortable night's sleep so that extra width is something I'm willing to splurge on, plus that pad will also save me some weight. Sounds like a perfect birthday present to myself come springtime.
Chris
Excellent, glad I could help.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Santa brought my son a mountain laurel designs prophet kids pack. At 10 oz it's 2 lbs lighter than his old rei comet! He is so excited to do more hikes this coming year.

[rimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/ ... zjf2ij.jpg[/rimg]
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

very cool! I'm thinking the Dalmatian PJ bottoms would be a hit on the trail as well :)
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:very cool! I'm thinking the Dalmatian PJ bottoms would be a hit on the trail as well :)
Nothing better than a good nights sleep in dalmatian pjs!!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nothing major here. Santa delivered every family member a stocking stuffer care package of selected patterns of 3/8 oz Kastmasters (have lifetime Z-Ray supply so Z-Rays not needed in stockings). Santa himself needed to restock, too, after snagging quite a few of them on his last 2013 fishing trip to 168 country in the fall.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Not much from santa here either as already have most of the gear needed.
Well, there were a few items:
As my Klymit LWD http://www.klymit.com/index.php/product ... 3_b4f9a835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (one-man raft as already seen in OldRanger's Jacuzzi) arrived too late last season for any backpacking, I did order my Alpacka Ninja Paddles...
https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm/s ... injaPaddle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does add 3 pounds though - 15 oz for the paddles and 35 oz for the LWD...should work on those high Golden lakes.

Sent my Rainbow tarptent in for new zippers/sliders...not back yet.

New TNF 1/4 zip fleece,

New Columbia water shorts...in red...styling!

Still need some new trailrunners; looking at Brooks Cascadias 7 for those.

Had a local seamstress here in Mammoth make a longer stuffsack for the Ninja Paddle poles and will also hold my Rainbow tent poles/stakes too - straps outside side pack.

Replaced my older blue Gregory Deva WM 60 - not the new model (the older Deva women's 60 backpack that I have carried for 4 years)...IMHO, best backpack ever made, for me...just over 4 pounds and, if you switch out the shoulder straps for the men's, will carry 15 days food and a Bearikade Weekender comfortably...LOL, I found the new (old) one, also in red for $80.
BTW, Here is a similar one but in small (WS) and costing more on eBay -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREGORY-BACKPAC ... 3a87a36257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some Siwash hooks to change out the trebbles of the "few" Z-Rays lost last season.

Looking at some Dirty Girl Gaiters.

Like I said, I have all the gear I needed - Yeah right.
Mountainman who swims with trout