Coumbia Omni-Freeze Zero Shirt | High Sierra Topix  

Coumbia Omni-Freeze Zero Shirt

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Coumbia Omni-Freeze Zero Shirt

Postby maverick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Has anyone tried this shirt, the UPF 50, antimicrobial, and cooling technology all sound
interesting if they work.
http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-PFG-Fre ... lt,pd.html
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Coumbia Omni-Freeze Zero Shirt

Postby robow8 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:49 pm

I have a short sleeve shirt and a pair of arm warmers that I use for running. The technology does work with a couple of caveats. It needs to fit tighter than you might like to make enough contact with your skin. My shirt is baggy and I don't really feel the cooling from it. The arm warmers are tight and you can feel the cooling. If you get hot, you can pour some water on it and instantly feel it. In a breeze, it's almost too cold. Granted, this was early morning, but summertime in SoCal. Secondly, the rings seem to be wearing off on my arm warmers at the top of the arm warmers, where there is more rubbing going on.

Mountain Hardwear is a sister company of Columbia and shares the technology with them. I have a MH visor that has it in the headband but there is extra fabric there which keeps it from performing optimally.

Hope this helps!
robow8
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby Rockchucker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I have the buff, and really liked it for desert hikes this past summer so I went to get a shirt and none of our local stores had any. So I asked my favorite store and asked if they could order one. They said "sure we'll have it in a week". A week later I get a call that both companies offering this technology have sold out and won't be available until next spring. I stopped there, I'm sure I could have found a store online but rather give the small profit to my community.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 am

Interesting concept. It looks, well, ummmm, cool :nod: One question...what happens after you wash it a couple of times ? Does the cooling technology wear off ?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby Rockchucker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:55 am

The Other Tom wrote:Interesting concept. It looks, well, ummmm, cool :nod: One question...what happens after you wash it a couple of times ? Does the cooling technology wear off ?

It's woven into the fabric. Not suppose to wash out at all.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 am

Rockchucker wrote:
The Other Tom wrote:Interesting concept. It looks, well, ummmm, cool :nod: One question...what happens after you wash it a couple of times ? Does the cooling technology wear off ?

I would guess it has a limited number of activation cycles. Washing counts as at least one cycle...So I guess my question would be how many cycles are there ?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby maverick » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Robow8,

Welcome to HST! Seems it is similar to other fabrics that require it to be flush against
one skin. Thanks for the info.
Thanks Rockchucker for the info too.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby longri » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:40 am

The Other Tom wrote:
Rockchucker wrote:

I would guess it has a limited number of activation cycles. Washing counts as at least one cycle...So I guess my question would be how many cycles are there ?

I read a short description that seemed to suggest that the active material doesn't wash out. It swells with moisture to provide greater surface area for evaporative cooling. This makes it qualitatively different than standard "wicking" fabrics.

Of course with enough passes through a washing machine (100,000?) you could theoretically wash away an entire shirt.
longri
Topix Expert

Postby Rockchucker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 pm

I think it's a micro polymer that soaks and absorbs fluids, and cools via evaporation. No reason for it to wash away over time. My biggest question is it any better than cotton?
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Postby rlown » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:56 pm

i actually prefer a long sleeved cotton shirt over a smelly poly T. and the poly T doesn't smell that bad, if washed on the trail regularly.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby maverick » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:13 pm

This shirt is antimicrobial which is supposed to help eliminate or cut down
on the sweaty smell that one gets from poly after a few days Russ.
Rockchucker or Robow8, do you have any input on this feature effectiveness?

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby Rockchucker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

With the buff I frequently rinsed it in the streams so it didn't get stinky. At least with me after a few days everything stinks with or without anti microbial!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix