Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone review

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone review

Post by Kerstin »

Hi all.

I put a post on here some time ago about wanting to purchase the Granite Gear Latitude Ki.

After more research I decided I wanted a top-loading pack that was extendable. I ended up getting the Nimbus Ozone. I purchased the pack from The Backcountry in Truckee. They were able to special order a women's-specific hip belt for me. I have a short torso and ordered the small pack size.

I tried the pack out a few weeks ago on a three day trip up Pine Creek to Mount Julius Caesar. I was very pleased with this backpack. The pack was lightweight, very comfortable and fit like a glove! I had no soreness anywhere from the pack. I liked how easy it was to cinch the pack down for our peak-climbing day.

The big side pockets accomodated my water bottles, maps and compass easily. Also, if I needed to I could really get a lot of gear into this pack due to the extendable collar.

The only thing I found strange was the lack of a top lid. But this does make the pack lighter. I brought along a stuff sack that I stored at the very top of the pack as a substitute.

I really enjoyed being able to look up and around while wearing this backpack. Previous packs I've used towered over my head and prevented me from tilting my head up. This would give me a very sore neck after several hours on the trail.

The pack fabric seems fairly tough, particularly the bottom. I don't know if I'd want to spend hours bushwacking through tall manzanita with this pack, though. I pulled and scraped the pack along rough granite while loading and unloading it. The base fabric showed no sign of wear.

All in all this is a great pack that seemed to disappear while I was wearing it, which is exactly what I was looking for.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Thanks very much! I bought a Nimbus Ozone last year with my REI dividend but haven't had a chance to use it on a real backpacking trip yet. Trial runs seemed to indicate a very comfortable pack even when loaded to the max, and I've used it enough as a "suitcase" on field trips that I can attest to its ruggedness. Glad to know that yours has worked out well, and I can't wait to get into the wilds to give mine a real go!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'll check out the Nimbus Ozone. I'm short (4'11"), and when my Kelty Flight has to be replaced, I'll be looking for another pack.

How much weight did you carry in the pack? I tried the GoLite a few years ago, and it was good with less than 25 lbs. Anything more than that caused pain in the hips and back.

OT, did Julius Ceasar have a register?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

Sorry I'm replying to your question, Snowy, so many months later. :o :o But just in time for summer, huh? ;)

I believe I have carried around 25 pounds on my backpacking trips. I did have to be careful to pack the heavier items close to my back for maximum comfort. Otherwise the pack gave the sensation of pulling away from my back while wearing it. I know I could carry more weight with this pack and it would still be comfortable.

After using it on several more backpacking trips and day trips, I still really like this pack. I did rip a small hole in it, which was easily repaired with some seam-sealer. My Whisperlite stove was creating a bulge in the fabric. I set my pack down against a granite boulder. The pack scraped along the boulder for a few feet. I won't do that again.

I wore the pack in a snowstorm. Everything inside stayed nice and dry.

I may purchase a top lid. But haven't decided yet. It would be nice to have an external pocket with a zip on it.

I'm looking forward to summer trips!!! :)