Solar Charger Ideas?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Sunj
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Solar Charger Ideas?

Post by Sunj »

My son is a huge fan of hiking, I am thinking maybe I should get a solar power charger for him as the christmas gift. You guys have ideas on this?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Solar Charger Ideas?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I suppose that depends on what he needs power for out there and what his hiking style is like.

I have been using a Brunton Solaris 4 for a couple years now and I am happy with it. The only down side for some people is that it's a straight panel and does not have a battery. This can be a problem for people that like to hike from sun up to sun down.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

Two PCT thru-hikers used the Suntactics 5 watt sCharger and gave it good reviews. They list it on their gear list Here and describe how they carried it Here.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

The Bushnell Bear Grylls Solarwrap mini looks good. Lightweight , inexpensive and very portable.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

justm wrote:The Bushnell Bear Grylls Solarwrap mini looks good. Lightweight , inexpensive and very portable.
A personal comment. I do not like Bear Grylls.

But if you search this site in the search box up to the right with "Solar chargers" you will find mounds of info. Rogue is correct. you need to define how and when you use it and for what.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sunj,

Welcome to HST! As Rlown mention try using the "search" feature. Also here is a
review that may help: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Solar-Charger-Reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org