losing weight

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: losing weight

Post by sparky »

A frameless pack does next to nothing for leverage produced by your heavy dense items in your load. A suspension system does.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

The ULA Catalyst is my bear can pack, the ULA Circuit my NO bear can pack. What do you think is the next step up on padding/comfort load carrying capability with similar volume to the Catalyst? I am 5 foot 11 inches with a long torso and shorter 30 inch inseam legs. My wife's smaller pack actually weighs more than my larger Catalyst that that is what she needs to avoid bruised hips.
Jeff
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Check out the GoLite Jam 70. I've used one for the past couple of years with good success.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

The Other Tom wrote:Check out the GoLite Jam 70. I've used one for the past couple of years with good success.
Me too!
It is an excellent pack, but try not to drag the bottom over rough granite, or you will get small holes.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Actually I was thinking a slightly heavier pack with more weight carrying comfort so I could account for my Canon 6D, 17-40 and 24-105mm lenses 3-5 extra batteries, and maybe my Surui tripod and head. Could be about 7 pounds of camera gear. Might talk my son into carrying the 2 pound tripod and head.

My empty ULA Catalyst feels challenged comfort wise when getting closer to 40 pounds vs. under 30.
I was thinking about a pack that was well padded in the 4-5 pound range empty that held about the same volume as the Catalyst which weighs closer to 3 pounds.

I kind off thinking DSLR with backpack is less in line with the topic of losing weight.
Jeff