The Case for PLBs

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Case for PLBs

Post by bobby49 »

There may be updates to the firmware contained within the device, and then there may be updates to the computer application.

The device is going to be checked every time that you prepare it for use in the field. The computer application will be checked also, but those updates don't seem to be frequent.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is a Feb 2020 firmware update, before I used it last summer. So it may not be the update notification that appeared last fall. Things seem to work without it, so I may just let it go for now.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

While you are at it you might want to to try a test sending from one Mini to another. It can come in handy when something goes wrong, but is not intuitive. You need to go into the device to get the name of it to send to.
Matt_W
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matt_W »

CAMERONM wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:00 pm While you are at it you might want to to try a test sending from one Mini to another. It can come in handy when something goes wrong, but is not intuitive. You need to go into the device to get the name of it to send to.
You can go to explore.inreach.com and click the Account tab. Your Inreach-to-Inreach address will be listed there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Make sure you let your friends know that you're carrying an InReach. The email/text message they get will have an odd address. And preload your device with contacts pre trip.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I use the mini last year and can do basic pre-set messages and short text messages. I will be communicating with my husband- so messages go to his e-mail. And I did a test message last week. I realize now that paying for a monthly plan I should have been sending a practice message each month this winter to practice. But thanks everyone for replies and suggestions.