Winter camping, get away with only staking fly?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter camping, get away with only staking fly?

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

mrphil wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 am Skimping on anchors is one place I won't compromise for winter conditions. Rather than traditional staking, have you considered using shorter, lighter stakes (maybe Ti), or even fabric, as deadman anchors? From the sound of it, to find weight savings, your stove and fuel systems are a better place to start. Bigger stoves, pots, and extra fuel for melting snow add up quickly. If your altitude isn't that high, and you can keep your cartridges warm, you might even consider isobutane and a pocket stove, or some sort of system like Jetboil and a hanger. You're potentially dealing with shaving ounces, if not pounds, instead of grams by altering stakes.
mrphil echoes my thoughts on the topic. Also, if you're looking for solitude, its easy to find in the winter. in winter I usually back heavy, walk a mile, possibly two, and there is NO ONE around. No need to skimp on gear when you don't have t hike far. Shaving off ounces and grams is more of a summer tactic, I think. It makes more sense when you have to walk longer distances and weight is certainly a factor. I also like a snow cave or igloo as well. Much nicer to sleep in, keeps you busy (and warmer) during the day, but it is a lot of back breaking hard work, to be sure.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I have all ti pots, down gear, lite Zimmerbuilt pack (33 oz.), get killed by my vintage stoves. Don't care for a Jetboil or similar MSR stove, they are too fast, love my quality time with my old stoves. Deadman anchors or at least fabric ones don't appeal to me due to how they can get cemented in and can be damaged in the morning. Maybe using sticks if available might be better, but I hate relying on will I find what I need. I have some MSR Blizzard stakes ordered to supplement my 11" SMC stakes, they are half the weight but shorter than the SMC stakes. I have considered using some shorter hardened? aluminum stakes I have for the tent body, but if I sell my BD Hilight tent, those will go with it.
The last year or so I bid on one or two MSR Windpro II stoves on evilbay, finally winning a clean one this Summer. I got it due to ability to invert it, so that is a top option as a second stove to take along. With my dry camps this Fall, I have used it on recent trips to offset the weight of half a gallon of water, the pup packing his food and water for a o/n trip, being old enough now to pack some weight. I also was given a dozen partially used canisters for it.
Thank you guys for ideas, comments. I'm back to all solo trips now so can't pick up what others have figured out what to do or are doing.
Duane
Piece of cake.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Take up skiing. I sometimes carry zero stakes in the winter since skis and poles act as excellent anchors.

Okay, you're not going to do that. You don't want a lighter tent. You love your old heavy stoves. I'm impressed you carry your stuff in a two pound backpack though. My winter backpack weighs twice that. I don't mind.

So maybe this is a crazy idea but my thought is to try and save weight by taking the minimum number of lightweight snow stakes. That's what I'd do if I were you. Focus on the stakes.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I always have solitude since I live in a rural county and am a five minute walk to FS land, only go to Parks or more popular areas maybe if a group goes. I've wanted XC skis or the like for years, just never could decide or research what I need. We have a local outdoors shop in town again, can't go with their rental prices.
I live close to the Bucks Lake Wilderness up here on the Plumas NF. PCT is only five miles away maybe.
I usually head out after lunch, aware of the weather forecast, so may be times I can even leave the fly at home since this new tent has less netting than my old SD or new summer tent for car camping, a cheap Mountainsmith. I don't have the stamina anymore, so a few mile hike is good. I go mostly just to get out, the old stoves are more fun out in the field. Nice scenery isn't necessary.
Duane
Piece of cake.