Shelter For Dogs

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shelter For Dogs

Post by maverick »

Spoke to some of my dog owning (3 dogs) and inquired about what they do for shelter for them while out backpacking? They said they have a pop up tent from Walmart, weighing about 3 pounds, cost around $20
For those of you who go with more than one dog, what are your arrangements? Do any of you use a pop up tent? Which make and models have been the most successful for you doggies?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Shelter For Dogs

Post by oldranger »

Took my daughters dog out once during mosquito season so I bought a dog specific tent with a tough floor. Gave it to my daughter after that trip but it hasn't been used since. Don't remember the brand. But no way am I allowing a dog in my tent to lay on my $400+ sleeping bag
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

+1
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I'm probably in the minority here, but my dogs sleep au naturel. They are tough mountain dogs and don't need to sleep in a tent.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted

Post by tweederjohnson »

My wife and I have a copper spur 3 which has plenty of room for our dual sleeping pad and a cut down zlite for our dog that doubles as a back support in my gossamer gear marisposa pack. I usually drape my puffy over her if it's chilly, but if it's especially cold and I need the puffy, we bring along a small down blanket that doesn't weigh too much for her. She's not the toughest of mountain dogs and needs a little pampering on the trail.

I don't usually bring her if I'm solo because she's kind of pain to have around when i'm fishing, but if I do, it's a similar set-up in a tarptent rainbow, which she fits fine in.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

We hike with our two mini dachshunds and when my wife and I bought nice, expensive down bags, we didn't want a wet, stinky dog in them. My solution: their own sleeping bag. I wrote to a sleeping bag company, explained my idea and after some laughing on their part, they ended up sending me a inexpensive mummy bag for free (they said it was a "defect" but looked new). I cut the top third off and had it sewn up creating a mini mummy bag. Best part, to keep the pups in their bag, we pull tight its head cinch to lock them in. Bag works well down to about 40 degrees (needs more fill though), stuffs pretty small and weighs 1lb.

They do like it but we do have to spend time beforehand getting them comfortable with it before trips.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you know we're gonna need a picture of the minis in their bag :D
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

I do have a few pic's but don't belong to any image hosting sites. edit---didn't realize I could upload pics direct. Thanks :thumbsup:

Two years ago, we thought about having a down version built (warmer and would pack smaller) but the companies I contacted who make custom bags, wanted nothing to do with it, even though they thought it was a great idea :confused:

Sucks because there is no specific bedding products on the market for keeping small or medium sized dogs warm at night that is backpacker friendly: warm, light, pack-able and abrasion resistant. Maybe this is my million dollar idea \:D/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Snowtrout on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've seen those small "demonstration" bags in some stores which would fit dogs perfectly and the small tents as well. You can upload pictures directly to this site using the upload attachment tab at the bottom of this page.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A friend with a short haired dog trimmed down the sleeves of a thrift store down jacket for her dog. Instant sleeping bag he can walk around in. My dog has a fido fleece and a foam pad. She doesn't like the tent so sleeps just outside in the vestibule - if I bring my hammock she wants to be right underneath, so when she stands up in the morning she bonks her head on my bum. I tie her to a nearby tree so she doesn't wander around all night eating random junk. No more vet visits for mysterious illness for her.