Copper spur hv ul2 rain fly

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Copper spur hv ul2 rain fly

Post by jorrflv »

I just purchased the tent above, but when I am attaching the rain fly the "pockets" where the cross pole should insert have to be pulled really tight... so tight I am thinking I am going to rip the tent. I Am 99.9% sure I have it aligned right. Anyone else have experience with this tent?
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Copper spur hv ul2 rain fly

Post by ericZ »

Did you ever figure out the issue?

-eric
fresno, ca.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted

Post by jorrflv »

Yes, the official response from big agnes was that during normal pitching you don't use the pockets for the fly. The pockets are only used when setting up the shelter with ground tarp, fly and poles with out the tent.
powderhound
Topix Acquainted

Post by powderhound »

jorrflv wrote:Yes, the official response from big agnes was that during normal pitching you don't use the pockets for the fly. The pockets are only used when setting up the shelter with ground tarp, fly and poles with out the tent.
Well this is news to me. I've been using a Copper Spur UL2 for years and have always just pulled the rainfly until I could get the poles in the sleeves. I've never had an issue with it tearing, although I remember I did have to pull pretty hard the first few times I set it up.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have the Copper Spur UL 1 and have the same problem. It does loosen up after use. Not as bad now that I have used the tent for two years. I would not worry about breaking the tent- the seam along the top is really strong. I would worry more about breaking the pole, which is short so does not have a lot of flexibility. My tent fly has little finger pull-tabs (not sure you could use these if you had large fingers), which are very useful, but I do have to pull the fabric of the pocket up so it is open enough that the pole slides in. I disagree that you need not use these. Without proper placement the pole can slide to a part of the tent fly that is not designed to take these stresses.