Contact lens for 7 days of backpacking?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Contact lens for 7 days of backpacking?

Post by Ska-T »

I am fairly new to required corrective vision and being an old codger (presbyopia and farsighted with slight astigmatism) I now need correction at all distances.

I prefer to wear contact lenses for backpacking because of the peripheral view they provide, the lack of a lens to fog, and that I can use my wrap around non-prescription sunglasses. I also prefer to avoid bifocal sunglasses or progressive sunglasses, and my monovision contacts (distance left eye, reading right eye) allow me to see distant objects or read a map/view the camera screen. Multifocal contacts didn't work for me.

The downside to removing and reinstalling contacts each day is the need for contact lens sterilization fluid and clean hands. I've read of two solutions to those problems. One solution is extended wear contacts and the other solution is daily disposable lens.

My current contacts are Acuvue Oasys, a 2-week lens that is normally removed each night, but are approved for up to 7 days of continuous wear.

My optometrist is a conservative guy regarding eye health and doesn't have any backpacking experience. He recommends against using Acuvue Oasys for 1 week extended wear around town, much less in the mountains. Does anyone have experience to the contrary?

I actually favor the daily disposable approach, but don't want to pay for an additional contact lens fitting, especially since I just had to pay for a midterm correction. Is there any reason I couldn't apply the numbers for my current Acuvue prescription to a similar daily disposable? Some online vendors do not require a prescription.

Thanks for your opinion, especially if you are a vision pro.
Last edited by Ska-T on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Contact lens for 7 days of backpacking?

Post by Snowtrout »

Last year while preparing for the JMT, I looked at disposable contacts. My optometrist, who also backpacks, gave me some disposable ones to try out. Just testing them out at home, I noticed that they were a lot thinner and prone to ripping....strike one. Whenever I rubbed my eye, they seemed to roll up into my eye causing a very uncomfortable situation...strike two. Then I saw/figured out how much space the contacts were going to take up in my pack (might seem dumb but the box/case all together do add up)....strike three.

I ended up using my normal routine of taking my contacts out at night, using Clear Care Triple Action solution and bringing a spare set just in case. The 2oz bottles hold 7 days and the 3oz bottles hold 11-13 days worth of solution. Just don't forget the lens case: its needed to neutralize the solution. Only issue I have run into is, sometimes when temps drop below 45-50 degrees at night, the solution does not always neutralize even after 7 hours in the case. I have learned that a quick squirt of filtered water on them seems to wash the left over hydrogen peroxide off....nothing worse then putting contacts in with hydrogen peroxide on them :crybaby:
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by k9mark »

Cubavision dailies total 1 disposables. These are the Cadillac of disposables. More expensive but you will never wear anything else.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Bausch & Lomb PureVision 2. I wear them for several weeks without taking them out. Certified for extended wear up to 30 days. So comfortable I sometimes lose track of how long I've had them in for.

http://www.bausch.com/our-products/cont ... act-lenses
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Thanks for the replies. I will consider the advice carefully. Three responses and three different approaches. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

This is my present understanding (outside of comfort, which is personal). For someone who normally wears 2-week or 1-month disposables and takes several backpacking trips or more each summer for about one week at a time or less:
#1. The 2-week or 1-month disposables are the most fussy (sterilization solutions and daily installation with clean hands) but least expensive.
#2. The daily disposables are the second most fussy (daily installation with clean hands).
#3. The extended wear approach is the least complex (no daily installation) but the most expensive since each pair of lenses should only last one trip (for optimal ear health).

#1 and #2 also take up the most pack volume/weight. The difference between the two depends on the length of the trip.

Summary: When scenery is one of your main goals, then good vision is essential, no matter how.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

And don't forget a backup pair of regular glasses in case you have a problem with the contacts.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I have RGP contact lenses and have worn them many days at a time, have not had a problem (knock on wood). I find them easier to deal with and minimal cleaning solutions required. If I leave them out they won't dry up like soft lenses. Wear them surfing and have never lost one in almost 40 years in the water.

John
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I am intrigued by the idea of RGP lenses because I've read that they are capable of providing more acute vision than soft contacts and can be a good solution for a person with astigmatism and presbyopia (in addition to myopia or hyperopia). At least one brand (probably more) are approved for 30 day extended wear.

The barriers for me have been finding a optometrist with experience fitting RGP lenses, the upfront expense of being fitted (no free samples since the lenses must be custom made), the worry of dust getting under the lenses in a mountain setting, and the cost of fitting if they fail to be comfortable to me.

I spoke with Kaiser Permanente recently and they said that the upfront cost is the same if the first lenses work or it takes a couple of lenses (or more?) to get it right, so that concern is reduced.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I don't know, I've worn RGP lenses for most my life. Have nothing to compare to. I have heard they keep your sight from deteriorating as quickly because of their rigid construction.

The last set I was fitted for, I had to get a couple sets in order to get it right, but no extra charges.
John