peaks out of George Creek (trip report)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Eric1234
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

peaks out of George Creek (trip report)

Post by Eric1234 »

This was a very fun and eventful climb of Mt. Carl Heller, Barnard East, Mt. Barnard, and Trojan Peak out of George Creek. Mt. Carl Heller's East Ridge is a true Sierra classic!
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013 ... rnard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
calipidder
Topix Regular

Re: peaks out of George Creek (trip report)

Post by calipidder »

Fantastic! Thanks for the report. I'm heading out on Saturday to play in that area for a week. While the primary targets are Tyndall and Willy, we'll also be spending a few days in Wright Lakes Basin for a combo of fishing and other peaks. I'll probably do the Barnard/Trojan duo one of those days. Thanks for whetting my appetite even more - this work week can't go by fast enough!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Spectacular report. I would agree with you that you really did a classic route on Heller's E. Ridge. That is the crown jewel of your trip and the photos and account really get the mountaineering juices flowing while reading about it. What a terrific overall route and trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Great TR! Thanks for posting it. In particular, I really enjoyed the detailed description and pics of your Mt. Carl Heller route.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is good that the permits now allow getting into Mt Carl Heller later in the year. Back when permits were cut off in May, we tried it, but those low angle rock slabs were covered with a think layer of icy snow, precluding doing the climb. It is beautiful up there! We did get Williamson though. It is a long story, but due to an accident on that trip (another climbing party member) I ended up going up and down George Creek three times. I got the route through the lower brush figured out pretty good. Crossing the creek many times eliminates a lot of the bushwhacking. You guys are night owls! I cannot imagine all that descending at night.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Typo! I meant to say thin layer of snow. Sort of like ice frosting plastered on slabs. Really freaky.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:It is good that the permits now allow getting into Mt Carl Heller later in the year.
Prior to the sheep restriction being lifted it was reasonable to approach via Whitney Portal, provided you could jump through the permit hoop.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

bump, awesome trip report!
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

I know it's old, but such a great trip report! Thanks for posting.