Peak Registers

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Peak Registers

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Considering the number of peaks that suffer from this problem i'd say the last great registers will all be gone before too long.

This comment can also be deleted after a few around here see it.

Considering how Black , Red, Kaweah and Kaweah Queen all have their books stolen I wonder how long Lawson Peak will last. It still has Norman Clyde's paper from 1934 in it. See it while you can!

Picket Guard Peak went back to 1962 but not nearly as cool as Lawson.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Picket Guard Peak went back to 1962 but not nearly as cool as Lawson.
How long ago were you on Picket Guard? I looked all over for the register there in 2002 and couldn't find it. I figured some klutz had fumbled it over the north face, given the slightly north-sloping nature of the summit block. My two all time favorite original registers have long since filled up: Williamson (went back to 1919 when I was there in 1978) and Barnard (went back to 1936 when I was there in 1996)
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It was this year. There were some notes in it from a group saying they found the register off of the summit almost over the cliff.

I was on Barnard in 2010 and I don't remember how long it went back but I don't think very far.
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by calipidder »

I was on Barnard this summer and don't recall anything special about the logs there. It was a gorgeous day and I spent quite a while on the peak thumbing through the register so I would have found the older logs if they were still there.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I was lucky enough to see N. Clyde's signature on Barnard (gone now) and Lawson too. And of course LeConte's on Woodsworth. I just recently found scraps going back to 1930!, but I'll not say where. I enjoy the old register hunt as it necessarily leads to less and less traveled points.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Old topic that I wanted some confirmation on.. Is it really true that Black Kaweah's register gone? The one with Starr's Blood that is.. If it is I really can't believe what kind of person would have the guts to take down something so historically significant and valued by not only mountaineers but also historians. Really does make me sick to think that neither I nor my children nor my grandchildren will ever be able to see that register. And certainly any other old registers. There has to be some way to keep the location of the oldest registers secret. It's important to document which registers need books or boxes and the like but as I was reading from the head of this matter of the SPS, he says that he doesn't want the location of old registers to be known on the internet. At this point it might be a bit late for that, since practically all of them have been stolen, save a few. Not sure what the solution is, but it really is disappointing to see history being ripped off the mountains.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yep unfortunately Black, Red, and Mt. Kaweah seem to all have their register stolen around the same time.

It certainly is a shame as it's always fun to climb a peak and read way back at when and who climbed the peak. It's always great insight into how often a peak might have been climbed also.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

That's really unfortunate about the confirmation that Black Kaweah's is gone. I was really hopeful to see that one in the next few years.I guess clearly that mountain sees more ascents than is needed to ward off thieves..
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well get onto Lawson while you can. That one is still special. :)
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Definitely will. On this summer's list! Along with Kaweah Queen. There actually used to be a register on Pyra-Queen Col. I take it that's gone too?
Alpine Mike-