Mt. Agassiz Trip Report & Photos | High Sierra Topix  

Mt. Agassiz Trip Report & Photos

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.

Mt. Agassiz Trip Report & Photos

Postby calicokat » Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 am

Climbed Mt. Agassiz last Friday (May 24th) and thought I would post some photos. Snow started around 11,000'. Didn't need any gear to the pass. We took a snow chute to within 200' of the summit from the pass. The snow was great for climbing, but dicey on the descent. Some places we could barely make purchase so it was slow going, safety safety :)

Looking to Mt. Goode from Bishop Lake

Climbing Up Great Ascent Snow

The Palisades Looking Good

Dusy Basin & LeConte Canyon

Mt. Williamson & Mt. Whitney Way Out There On The Horizon

Our Route Was Up The Left Hand Chute. It Would Choke Out, But We Could Find A Way On Snow All The Way To Within 200' Of The Summit

Another View From Farther West On The Pass

calicokat
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Agassiz Trip Report & Photos

Postby maverick » Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks Calicokat for the TR and pictures. Looks like the lakes in Dusy need only
a few more weeks.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Snow Nymph » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Beautiful! :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Postby artrock23 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

Great TR and pics!

For some reason, i'd always thought of Agassiz as having only class4-5+ routes to it's summit. Your TR reminded me to check my copy of Secor HS. This peak definitely goes on my 'solo' short-list! :)
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Postby giantbrookie » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Wow that is such beautiful early season High Sierra scenery. The view south to the Palisades reminds me of my views from Agassiz in 1976 on the other end of the season. The ledges of the Palisades were covered by snow then because of fall snowstorm.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Return to Peak Bagging / Rock Climbing / Bouldering