Definitions of Technical?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by AfterSeven »

Poland? WoW! Well the Poles and Slovenians are two nationalities that really take a different approach to climbing than Americans....from a personal safety standpoint, they take risks that others might not, loss of digits in the Himalaya is no big deal....or that used to be the case when I was last there. SO it would not surprise me if the route was still a Class 3 or maybe easy Class 4 with the use of chains.

Sorry to hear about the knee....sounds like quite an ordeal.
revhobo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by revhobo »

There are proposals now to replace some of the chains in the Polish part of the Tatra National Park with Italian-style ferrite protections. They do not provide you with climbing assists, but they allow you to lock your carabiner onto the line giving you increased safety if you fall. There is both support and resistance to those proposals, and no one knows how it is going to end.

And yes, when you look at the crowds climbing some of those routes with no protections, you do begin to think that risk-taking may be a genetic thing with Poles. ;)

BTW, it took a while, but my knee is fine now. It's the other one that's beginning to act up, but that's just age and normal wear and tear, I suppose.