Red and White

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
jfnr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Red and White

Post by jfnr »

Thnaks everyone. I get er done. Started out of Vermillion and headed up Mono creek. Took a left @ Laurel lake and headed up. Lost the trail @ the meadow but just meandered around and up to Laurel. The map shows a cut off Grinnell. I wanted to see Laurel, so I went there. I have looked down at Laurel from the peak above Mott but have never been there. From there I just took a straight shot to a pass and ended up right on Grinnell. Really good fishing @ Grinnell. Took a walk up to upper Grinnell but did not climb Red and White. I was solo and thought better of it. Spent the night on Grinnell and headed over to Rosy Finch and down to Mott. Saw a bear swim across Mott lake. That was pretty cool.

Thinking about Mott fot Memorial day weekend. A little concerned about the creek crossings. If I have a partner, I will probably go for it. I always head to the Vermillion for Memorial day weekend and usually go up Bear Creek for a couple of nights. Looking @ Seven Gables for my late summer trip. THis would be like my fifth time up there. It always pulls me back

Hope we have a good winter. It would be nice to get some water in the low lakes.

P.S. The new Big Agnes air mattress..... Pain in the neck to blow up but oh so comfy.

Cheers
JR.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

JR, I bought one of these to use with my NeoAir but a friends uses it all the time for her BA Insulated pad. I always carry a large trash bag to use as a pack liner anyhow so I just attached this adapter to it an leave it in my pack.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/sleeping ... InzqbctCUk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I've only done it from the McGee Pass trail side. It's not technically difficult other than the last hundred feet or so is class 3 with some sections of almost vertical class 3. Plenty of loose rock but slow and easy and it's not difficult.

The thing that is difficult is the long extremely tedious ridge slog before the top. It's sharp loose rock that gets old really fast.

In the end the peak offers very unique views with all the red rock around Red Slate Mountain.