Kearsarge Mines to Kearsarge Peak loop solo dayclimb

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kearsarge Mines to Kearsarge Peak loop solo dayclimb

Post by Snow Nymph »

Saturday, 22 July 2006
Kearsarge Mines trail to Kearsarge Peak (12,598'), down Lily Pass and Golden Lakes Trail.

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/552502044wbNHAX

Bumper to bumper traffic getting out of LA. It took 3.5 hrs to Mojave instead of 1.5 hrs, so that got me in at 3:30am. I slept in, and started off late. 85 deg temps with no breeze slowed me down, got rained on, waited out the thunder storm and continued. Late summit, late getting back.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gcj
Topix Acquainted

Post by gcj »

Hi. Looks like a great trip and the pics are wonderful.

I did almost the exact trip in the opposite direction many years ago. I planned it as a simple day loop over Kearsarge Pk via Lilly Pass and the mines, but I took a long nap at the foot of Lilly and lost some time. Then I decided to take a side trip up peak 12,720+ (aka 'Dragon Jaw Peak', according to the register), just north of Lilly before continuing up Kearsarge.

By the time I reached the summit of Kearsarge, the long shadows of the Sierra were touching the foot of the Inyos... uh oh. I was hoping the steep zig-zagging mine trail shown on the old 15' topo map would be followable in the dark. Well, I ended up losing the trail and decided to bivouac among the dwarf pines at timberline at approx 11,000 feet on the east ridge. Luckily, the night was clear, calm, but cold. I did do some dancing at various times to keep warm.

The panoramic vista of the Owens Valley at night was unforgettable... It was July 4th, so I also had the unique experience of watching the Independence fireworks show from high above. It was dwarfed, though, by the shear immensity of the total scene.

The next morning, I was surprised at how quickly I was able to reach Onion Valley road by plunging down the steep scree. (I'm sure that going up was no easy chore!) I was relieved when I reached my truck that it had not been towed or ticketed since I'd parked in a area posted for day use only. I was an interesting trip, but now I wish that I'd taken the time on my way down from my bivouac, to explore some the the old mining structures that are presented in Snow Nymph's pictures.
-gordon
http://www.highsierrami.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, gcj!

I will have to check out Dragon Jaw Peak next time! I kept losing the trail, and with record high temps, going up that slope was miserable. The rain was nice. I didn't find the mines marked on the map, but by the time I got to 12K, I didn't care. I was more worried about that ridge where I got off track. I never carry a cell phone, but I did on this trip. I knew Calhiker had done this last year, so I was happy when I got a signal. After I talked to him I felt better knowing I was on the right track. The rest of the trip was easy, until the end when it got dark. I lost the trail and ended up boulder hopping down, then bushwacking thru thick brush and high grass. Once I crossed the creek (had to find an opening, and even then had to step in water) I was able to find the trail. That was a long day! I had enough gear to bivouac if I had to, but the bugs kept me going.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

SN....Very interesting...the Rex Montis one at 12K is really something..Is that a penny in the one pic with the glass? I wonder what the year is on it.
Beautiful flowers and views
Thank you for sharing :)