Red's Meadows to Taboose, suggestions for peakbagging?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
bcrowell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Red's Meadows to Taboose, suggestions for peakbagging?

Post by bcrowell »

A friend and I have a permit for July 10-23, entering at Red's Meadows, exiting over Taboose Pass. We've both done the JMT before in stereotypically robotic JMT-first-timer fashion, and would now like to do something with a little more off-trail action, possibly following portions of the Sierra High route, and definitely bagging a few peaks along the way. We're mainly up for class 1-2, will consider class 3 depending on what kind of class 3 it is. The peaks on my short list so far are Split Mountain, Black Giant, and Mt Spencer.

Comments? If you were covering the same territory, what would be on your list? We might do something like Sierra High for the first (northern) half, JMT plus side trips on the second half.

Is Volcanic Knob worthwhile? Arrow Peak? (a little out of our way) Striped Mountain? Mt Warlow?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Red's Meadows to Taboose, suggestions for peakbagging?

Post by maverick »

Hi BC,

Kathy W just wrote up a TR for Striped Mtn: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7563#p55037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have the time to hike to Arrow Peak than it would be at the top of my list, beautiful
views from the summit, also Cardinal Mountain is well worth the climb, both class 2.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Split, Black Giant and Spencer are all very nice, and not very difficult, although BG is a bit of a chore with all the loose gravel.
bcrowell
Topix Acquainted

Post by bcrowell »

Thanks, maverick and quentinc -- much appreciated! -Ben
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

Hey there....here's my $0.02

1. I wouldn't bother with Split Mt. because that's a Day Hike Peak you can access from the East Side. Along those lines...I would avoid any peak on the Sierra Crest for precisely the same reason. Time is precious so I would save my energies for interior peaks only, which cannot be easily attacked on a day trip or on an over-nighter which requires permits and bureaucracy. So if you are headed from Red Meadows to Taboose....I would focus on only peaks to the Right of the JMT as you head South.

2. Along those lines you state you might try the High Sierra Route...which is cool...but a pain...and I think again you are just putting terrain in play that is just as easily accessible for strong Day Hikers as you move your trail east towards the Sierra Crest. So strategically rather than detouring off the JMT to the East ...why not detour to the west instead? Into that middle no-mans land which has equally long and distasteful approaches from the east or the west.
Example...descend the Enchanted Gorge and ascend the Original John Muir Trail up Cartridge Creek past the elusive Triple Falls and up to Marion Lake...one of the Gems of the Sierra...in fact any lake East of Marion would be stellar.

3. As for peaks: I would say don't bother with Spencer. I would do The Hermit at the same basic height with a better view and a more 'historic' peak. Mt. Solomons has more bang for your buck than almost any peak in the Sierra...You can see virtually the whole Sierra and its a very easy Class 1/2...a very fast and safe climb. Mt Goddard has a fantastic view as well but is harder to get at than Mt. Solomon. Black Giant is ok but honestly its kinda Bleh for me...there is wide room for debate on that issue...its aesthetic for me; for whatever reason, Solomons, Goddard and Charbydis all impressed me far more. If you go down the Enchanted Gorge try Charybdis ...easy class 3. Lastly, the Vennacher Needle is a great easy scramble (its not really a Needle) with great views and easy access. Mt. Ruskin is a good alternative but is a little more 'airy' than the Needle. If you go up Cartridge Creek all those peaks in the area are in play...all sit in a manner that they have a great 360 degree panorama of the whole Sierra. Also I remember Near Observation Peak, surrounded by Lakes on 3 sides...Climber Mark Chapman took one of the greatest sunset pictures ever and made it into a poster. unfortunately I cant remember which lake....but no matter how you slice it if you staye 2 - 4 miles west of the JMT you will see a part of the Sierra seldom photographed, seldom explored, yet every bit as magnificent as the JMT.

4. Lastly, If you do the generic JMT and stop at Evolution Lake or the next one up....I would give Mt. Darwin a shot because its literally right there...and you don't have to deal with the glacier as you do if you make the traditional eastern approach...so I will contradict my 1st point by saying...if you are inclined to do a Sierra Crest Peak...this one makes more sense than any...It is one of the defining peaks of the Sierra...and would be on any real Sierra lover's bucket list. It is Class 3 in 2 points...crossing between 2 shoots like midway up the standard route and again on the summit pinnacle.

hope that helps.
Enthusiasm is the burning spirit within that says, ‘I can!’ It is the indomitable ‘Yes!’ without which nothing worthwhile is ever accomplished. ~ ROYAL ROBBINS
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The alternatives offered by After-Seven are hard core off-trail routes that require more than just the technical ability to do a class 2 peak. The poster did not elaborate on their qualifications and off-trail experience - just that they had done the JMT once before. Until we get more information, I would hesitate to recommend those routes.

Why do a peak? For the same amount of side-trip time you can explore each off-trail basin: 1) from Purple Lake to Virgina Lake loop through Ram Lakes, 2) High Route from Tully Hole to French Canyon is highly recommended, 3) side trip to Darwin Basin 4) side trip to Ionian Basin (Chasm Lake) via Black Giant Pass, 5) side trip down towards Simpson Meadow (spectacular canyon), 6) south side of Mather Pass-- loop via Frozen Lake Pass through Lakes Basin and return via old Cartridge Trail, 7) loop through 60 Lakes Basin, 8) side trips to upper Wrights Lakes and Wallace/Wales Lakes, 9) side trip to Crabtree Lakes, 10) side trip to Arctic Lake. You obviously could not do all these with your time constraints, but you can hardly go wrong no matter what side trip you choose.

The JMT is much more enjoyable if you get off the trail 1-2 miles into one of the side drainages each night.
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

Wandering Daisy states: The alternatives offered by After-Seven are hard core off-trail routes that require more than just the technical ability to do a class 2 peak. The poster did not elaborate on their qualifications and off-trail experience - just that they had done the JMT once before. Until we get more information, I would hesitate to recommend those routes.

I disagree, so I'll address Wandering Daisy's concerns in reverse order:

1. "The poster did not elaborate on their qualifications and off-trail experience."
With all due respect the poster stated they were looking for Class, 1 or class 2 peaks...and also possibly class 3 on a case by case basis.
They also stated they are looking at doing parts of the High Route, which indicates that they have a familiarity with the Sierra High Route. As we know the Sierra High Route takes people over remote, seldom used, Sierra passes, up and down class 2-3 terrain and where mistakes in route-finding can take people into class 4-5 slabs ...and while wearing a backpack with a high center of gravity to boot!
I agree with Wandering Daisy's prior comments in other threads about the SHR passes 100% "IF you only have backpacking experience on trails, you WILL find almost ALL the passes HARD! IF you have not done off-trail travel and IF you are not an expert route-finder -- you will find the entire High Route difficult. I would say that good route-finding is the key to the entire route."
Having said that, might as well ask BCrowell here to take a quick look at a prior post on asking for trip advice so that people don't make assumptions that can get you and your friends in trouble.
http://is.gd/w8yQtK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ultimately, my comments were directed at someone who is a strong hiker with some cross-country experience, comfortable on class 2 terrain and has doubts on class 3.

2. "The alternatives offered by After-Seven are hard core off-trail routes that require more than just the technical ability to do a class 2 peak."
If Nancy is referring to the Enchanted Gorge and Cartridge Creek she has a good point as to the Enchanted Gorge, it's definitely a big ask...on the other hand,I don't think anybody considering the SHR would find the Cartridge Creek/Cartridge Pass too troublesome nor 'hard-core' in any manner...one might be annoyed by some brush crashing...Great photos and trip report, albeit 37 years ago can be found here concerning both http://is.gd/bduaaK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Lastly, any time you start going cross-country in the High Sierra with a full backpack you will be going much much slower than you planned on...downhill foot placement coming down passes can quickly fatigue muscles in your foot, ankle, quads. Loose scree, ball bearing pebbles and wobbly boulders abound. You live in a day and age where there is ample info on every conceivable route just a click away. Whatever you do, research your trip thoroughly and to the extent you go cross country, make sure you know where the tricky spots are so you aren't surprised when you get there.
Enthusiasm is the burning spirit within that says, ‘I can!’ It is the indomitable ‘Yes!’ without which nothing worthwhile is ever accomplished. ~ ROYAL ROBBINS
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

OP has given some indication to his experience here: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 320#p38320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, the poster's name did not ring a bell with me so I did not remember previous posts.

I would still hesitate to send anyone down Enchanted Gorge! I did it once (with a day pack) and did not find it that scenic or enjoyable and I did not do the final 3 miles of bushwhaking to the Middle Fork. (Read Rogue's account) I honestly think there are much more enjoyable variations to the JMT than Enchanted Gorge-Cartridge Creek. I would take the High Route via Dusy/Barrett Lakes/cirque pass (high mountains, alpine environment) vs Enchanted Gorge (gnarly deep in canyon bushwhaking).

My point, which I should have elaborated on more, is that doing a climb of class 2-3 is a different beast than the micro-route finding and bushwhaking skills required of Enchanted Gorge/Cartridge Creek. I can think of many technical mountaineers who would do poorly in Enchanted Gorge!

Given the distance and time constraints, I feel the off-trail time would be better spent on other side trips. For half the time it would take to suffer Enchanted Gorge-Cartridge, you could do a lot of rambling through fine alpine terrain both east and west of the JMT south of Forrester Pass.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

I have a quick related question.

I'll be headed down the JMT speedway (southbound) in mid-July and had in mind doing exactly what Daisy mentioned, i.e., detouring on the SHR from Tully to French Canyon and then up through Dusy-Barrett Lakes to the Palisade Lakes.

Route finding and Class 2 (or 3 if it can't be avoided) are no problem. FWIW, I have the Roper guide. I just wanted to inquire if there are any glitches or particularly tricky parts of these sections to watch out for. Looks like both variations should take about two days.

Many thanks in advance, folks, and good luck, bcrowell, on your trip.
Last edited by SandStorm on Fri May 25, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.