alta peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
chris palmer
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

alta peak

Post by chris palmer »

I want to hike Alta peak within the next month. I might be getting some three day weekends. I want to do it 2 days or less. If anyone wants to go post some dates.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: alta peak

Post by AlmostThere »

I hope you like snow and ice. It's about to drop a bunch of inches of snow on the Sierra starting Thursday.

We'll probably go up alta in late spring, with microspikes and trekking poles. Depending on when "late spring" is this year.
chris palmer
Topix Newbie

Post by chris palmer »

Yea I just realized the weather after I posted that. Sounds like snowboarding is finally in my future. I'm still up for the hike after the weather stops dumping and the av conditions are good. I'd like to hike it again in the spring
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Alta Peak in the spring on a low snow year:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... 15&k=rfiBp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A wonderful climb once the snow consolidates in the spring. Depending on how much ice there is and what route you go up, an axe and crampons might be best to have with you along with those microspikes and trekking poles.