Why not Clipping to Half-Dome Cables

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Why not Clipping to Half-Dome Cables

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

Better yet, camp at LYV or Sunrise and get to the cables early with a good night's rest. Last time we were there around 7am on a Friday and started up the cables almost alone (but crowded on the way down).

Let's be real here, you've got up to 400 people a day attempting the cables, almost none of them are "real climbers." A rope and carabiner costs practically nothing. This simple setup is almost entirely psychological anyway, but that's a big help for many people. I don't see it doing any harm whatsoever and I haven't read anything that should stop someone from bringing it along. Some people might try it and decide they don't need it, others might use it for the worst spots, and still others might loan it to someone to get them moving again rather than hold up everyone. People don't realize they are going to freak out until they actually get up there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I feel the prudent thing to do if you freak out is not to continue the climb! Just standing on the bottom of the cables and looking up is enough to discourage most who would freak out on the climb. I would NEVER prod someone to go up unless they were really comfortable about it. I have never been in favor of giving someone a false sense of security. I would rather have someone realize that if they fall they die than feel that OK if I fall I am fine - problem is they will wipe out everyone below them. I admit that I have the very old fashioned traditional climber attitude. Fine with me if they just took down the cables and then only those who actually know how to climb would do the climb. I have only climbed the cables once, in season, when up. All the other times I did it in the winter when cables were laid down and steps removed.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

A factor 5 or 10 is definately possible. The fall factor is just the ratio of the fall divided by the length of rope that's catching you.

Or course sliding on a slab isn't the same as a vertical fall.

I was in that area recently and was kind of surprised at how many people had harnesses and lanyards of various types. And almost everybody was there to climb Half Dome. On one the hand I thought this was sort of sad. But most of them were really psyched to be up there. It was a big adventure for these people and I was impressed with their enthusiasm. I don't mind if they clip in. Why do you guys care?

I've clipped in before when descending with a large load. The last time I came down the cables it was after climbing the NW Face and I was surprised at how polished the rock was, and I was wearing rock shoes. I didn't clip the cables that time but I would do so in the future if I felt the need.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

probably a good thing there isn't good cell reception on that side of the rock. hard to text and descend at the same time but i would imagine some would try.
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

rlown wrote:probably a good thing there isn't good cell reception on that side of the rock. hard to text and descend at the same time but i would imagine some would try.
And some would even try sexting. :eek: With that many people year after year, just about everything you can think of will happen eventually.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

HikeSierraNevada wrote:

And some would even try sexting.
That would be even more dangerous than texting. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

I just got back from climbing the cables a couple weeks ago. This might be when HYOH applies. Yes, I had a length of webbing and a carabineer around my waist...but had the end tucked into my pocket 'just in case.' I didn't end up using it at all because I was so focused on pulling myself up the cables. I was surprised how much arm strenght is required. In Vibram soles, my feet still slid a few times. I had a blast but might not do it again, given the potential risk of someone ahead of me crashing down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

We started heading out from Curry Camp at 4:40 am and were at the base of the cables at 9:30. Didn't break any land speed records for hiking but we were pleased there were only about 6 people ahead of us on the cables. However, there were over 20 people aready on top when we reached the apex. After eating lunch and taking the obligatory pics of the circus marmot n top, and dangling our feet over the edge, we headed down. Once at the bottom about 11:30, there was a parade of people on the cables. Glad we got there 'early.'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

and lastly, I thought the sub-dome was scarier than the cables. I wasn't diggin when the steps ended and all that I was faced with was wide open steep granite, no hand holds, no obvious route and drop-offs. Yikes
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

longri wrote:A factor 5 or 10 is definately possible.
Sorry. That is simply incorrect. The maximum fall factor is 2: