Middle Pal - route from Finger Lake

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Quandary
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Middle Pal - route from Finger Lake

Post by Quandary »

Does anyone have tips on the route from Finger Lake to the base of the route on Middle Pal? Which way goes, around the south side or north side of Finger?
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: Middle Pal - route from Finger Lake

Post by mokelumnekid »

I strongly suggest taking a helmet for rockfall if anyone else is on the route. Depending on how hard the snow is at the bottom, you may also want an ice axe to get up to the rock.

Here are some pics from our trip in 2003:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mokelumnek ... 274559688/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We camped at the north end of Finger Lake (which runs N-S) and turned it on the north side as I recall. The scramble to the summit was the easiest part tho we did get a shower going up and a front was moving in. I had a couple of vexing moments in steep, mobile scree on the way down (but off the massif itself).

PM me if you want more detailed info.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

We went to the tarns closer to the summit and avoided Finger Lake.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quandary
Topix Acquainted

Post by Quandary »

Thanks to both of you! I found a route description for getting to the tarn via Brainerd Lake, along the north shore of Finger, and I think we'll try that way. I suspect the gulley outlet of Finger could still be a raging river and not hikeable next week. Hope to run into you while we're out there, Cori!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I wasn't able to get that far south. I made it back to Mammoth by 6pm by hiking out of Mosquito Flats. Next time! :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;