Mt Emerson - North Couloir

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
EnFuego
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mt Emerson - North Couloir

Post by EnFuego »

I was just wondering if anybody knows the typical trail/route from the North Lake TH to the North Couloir on Mt Emerson? I read in one article to take the trail to Piute Pass and wrap back on the northwest ridge towards Emerson. This would mean downclimbing either rock/snow or ice to get to base of climb then reclimbing back up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt Emerson - North Couloir

Post by giantbrookie »

Seems to me the most expedient route would be to either work your way up the drainage from one of the dirt roads in Buttermilk Country or to cross over the divide from the vicinity of North Lake and then ascend the drainage--that actually appears to be a fairly intricate route, so the former route from Buttermilk Country looks far easier on the topo map. Going all the way to Piute Pass and doubling back seems to be far too much work, plus the downclimbing into the top of the drainage doesn't look straightforward.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt Emerson - North Couloir

Post by Snow Nymph »

We tried from Piute Pass and didn't make it (yes, way too much work). We went up the south slope the next time. Can't help w/N Couloir.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;