Backus Peak, 5-16-08

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
MooseTracks
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Backus Peak, 5-16-08

Post by MooseTracks »

I had another day with no patients scheduled, so I met up with Cori just east of Walker Pass (Hwy 178 through Kernville) to do a weekend warm-up to Backus Peak. As it was slated to be over 90 degrees, we both carried a ton of water, and ended up really taking our time and enjoying all the wildflowers that were still blooming in the desert!

Some notes from the day:

1) Snakes. Yup. Don't like 'em, never have. I sang the 'Go Away Snakes' song, but we still saw three. Identification , anyone??

2) Some really amazing wildflowers , brilliantly colored, still adorning the desert floor and slopes. Neither Cori nor I moved very fast since we were stopping every few feet to attempt to capture them.

3) Hot day, but there was a nice wind, especially on the summit ridge. Cold beer back at the Toaster and Cooler were the best ever!

4) A fun peak, would like to have looped it with Russell, maybe next time! We were both heading to big peaks the next day (Cori did Spanish Needle, and I did Agassiz), so we conserved energy a bit.

5) Had din-din at Indian Wells. I came away with the happiest case EVER!!

Rest of the pics are here.

A few other moments from the day:

From about 8 feet away:

Backus Peak:

Cool Critter:

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
Lucrativ
Topix Novice

Re: Backus Peak, 5-16-08

Post by Lucrativ »

the lobotomy bock is for sipping only ... not like this guy :drinkers: ok ?
Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moondust »

That is one spot-tacular lizard!! It looks to be some sort of leopard lizard, but I don't know what kind. There is a blunt-nosed leopard lizard which is endangered, and a long-nosed leopard lizard, both of which (I think) are indigenous to the area. Yours looks kind of like a medium nosed lizard.

Great photos! Thanks.

Alice
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Alice, I think that's a male Collared Lizard.

http://www.desertusa.com/aug97/du_blcollizard.html
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;