Russell/Carillon: Developing Prehensile Buttocks

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
MooseTracks
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Russell/Carillon: Developing Prehensile Buttocks

Post by MooseTracks »

It's getting cold up here, bobbits. I was really glad to have my down jacket on this little foray into the wilds!

After meeting up with Richard, AsABat, ElMichael, Ranboze, and BeerBrewer at the Portal Friday night, Cori (SnowNymph) and I hit the NF at 3 a.m. I was able to find some good icy patches above LBSL on the slabs, so watch your feets!

Whitney peaks (get it??) up over the ridge east of Iceberg Lake.

Cori and I both tried using iPods for the attack of the scree slope. When mine decided it wanted to work it was great! Nothing like a little pump-me-up music to keep the legs going! While she stayed more to the right on the slabs, I dove headlong up the sand and rock, keeping Mike in my sights most of the way. It's a good place to be when trying to burn off a little steam...

I gained a new appreciation for the steepness of the final chute of the MR:

After waiting at the Russell-Carillon Saddle (well, I scrambled up Carillon, first, after seeing Mike up there; then Cori followed me!), the rest of the gang showed up. Rachel, Tom (TomCat_rc), Jim (SierraGator), and Christine started from the Portal around 5:15-ish. It was Christine's first time up there, and she did AWESOME! After she and Jim summited Carillon, she waited for us at the Saddle. And we started up the East Ridge!

There are a lot of words I would use to describe this: terrifying, exhilarating, exhausting, invigorating, overwhelming, and just plain AWESOME! Between the views, the air quality, and the people, this was perhaps one of the best climbs I've been on. The ridge is tricky, so that each person had to figure out what was best for them. Cori has a shorter reach; I don't do well with edges. But between the others in the group, there had to be close to 20 summits of this peak, so we were in fantastic (and patient!) hands.

The weather was more than perfect, and the wind died down every time we hit a spicy section, as though someone/thing was watching out for us. We celebrated on the summit in my usual fashion:

Jim headed down first to get back to Christine, and the rest of us followed. I did turn to Tom about 2/3 of the way back and said, "You know, I'm ready to get off this ridge. I'm tired of being scared." And with views like this one, can you blame me?

We got back to the Portal at 6:30 pm, and headed down to the Pizza Factory. Sorry we missed most of the group, but at least I got my champagne shower!

We were originally planning on doing something 'light' on Sunday, but the lure of the Portal Store got to all of us, and besides, it was Rick Graham's first breakfast at the Store! So we decided to find routes up Mt. Pancake:

And so, the collection grows. Tom, Cori, Jim, Christine, and Rachel, you guys ROCK! Thanks for letting me come along this weekend, and let's do it again soon!

Pics are here.
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Russell - truly a great classic of the Sierras. nice write-up of a trip report to Moose Tracks. glad I was able to get back up there again before winter storms rolled in

Tomcat working up the blocks:

Snow Nymph, Tomcat, Sierra Gator and Moose Tracks on summit:

Tomcat lloking down at Tulainyo Lake:

Snow Nymph and Rachel with a lot of vertical:
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Some great, hair-raising pics! Makes me want to climb......well......maybe not!!!! :eek: :puke:

Tom, that one pic looks suspiciously like you were scanning the horizon. And is that Tulainyo lake or maybe the aftermath.................. :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Russell-Carillon photos:
http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/34 ... #196610488

Fun trip!!! :D

And fun Sunday hanging around the Portal! :partyman:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Snowy, can I get a copy of that sunrise pic? It's awesome! :thumbsup:

Can't believe that you guys had enough energy to be carrying each other; seeing Moosetracks with Tomcat over her shoulder is a crackup! I'm making notes in case I get tired on the car camp trip!

Hmmm......"a little bit of a knife edge" and "a little bit of a slope" :puke: lead to a little bit of a fall and....... :eek:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Trekker wrote:
Tom, that one pic looks suspiciously like you were scanning the horizon. And is that Tulainyo lake or maybe the aftermath.................. :D
:lmao :lmao :lmao
Trekker wrote: Snowy, can I get a copy of that sunrise pic? It's awesome! :thumbsup:
for you, of course! :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

OK, so I tried to embed the slide show into the message, but I'm just not tech-savvie enuf yet... poop... Oh well. Here you go anyway!

Slide Show

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Finally posting here..Awesome beautiful pictures everyone. Congratulations to all of you on Mount Russell & Carillon! :nod: Russell is a beauty for sure! Tulainyo Lake is stunning!

Looks like a wonderful day everyone had...thanks for sharing your pictures and stories :)