Mt. Langley 8-5-07

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mt. Langley 8-5-07

Post by Trekker »

I finally summitted Mt. Langley, my first 14er, after having originally planned to do it on two previous trips. I did it on a three day trip. Windy to start on the summit day; didn't sleep much b/c of wind the night before, but it made for incredibly clear views! Tough climb for me, but the reward was jaw-dropping views; looking over the edge of the summit is just something that you can't do justice to in a photograph! Unfortunately, the 3 days were not the 3 I had originally planned, and since I just got back a few hours ago, and am leaving for the Big Island of Hawaii tomorrow for a week, pics will have to wait. Also, I may post reports on two new pieces of equipment I used, the Osprey Atmos 65 and the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.

Aloha!!!!! :waving
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Trekker, did you do it on Sunday? That was the day I did Carillon and Russell, and it was so windy I was afraid I'd get blown off the ridge of Russell! It was wonderfully clear though, as you say.

Langley is one of my favorite peaks, so I'm looking forward to your pictures.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

well congradulations on bagging your first 14'er - and Langley is just awesome. have a great vacation and look forward to more trip reports and photos.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Congrats, Trekker! Getting the SL1 (have the SL2 and love it) eventually, curious to hear how you liked it. Gonna climb around on the island? Have fun!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Congratulations on your first 14er! :D :D :D

Hope you're having a great time in Hawaii! Looking forward to a report!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Finally got to the pictures. I had a relative visit after the Hawaii trip, so it's been a busy August!

Pictures here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560465269gZroOk
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Congratulations on your first 14er! Looks like you had some great views too. What's next?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

QuentinC, yes, it was Sunday that I summited; very windy, as you said, but great views!

Snowy, my recovery between peaks is a LITTLE slower than yours! :D We'll see; right now I'm thinking more along the lines of a bp trip. If there's a peak in the vicinity, we'll see!

By the way, there was a fire that was burning in one of the pics east-south east of Langley. Snowy, you picked up on it.
GigaMike
Topix Novice

Post by GigaMike »

Glad to hear you made it Trekker, Congrats! It was great meeting & chatting with you on the trail.

btw- I just noticed this was my first post on this board and I registered in 2005. Weak! :\
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

welcome to the board Mike

Trekker - cool picts - love that area - great job with the sunset shots
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want