Mount Carillon

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Where are you headed to, Kathy?
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Sooz:

Well, I was hoping to do Mount Sill with Bruce and Brent but I realized today that not going to get my work done in time to take off until the weekend. I'm still hoping to take a long weekend, but it will be Saturday through Monday or Tuesday instead of Wed or Thurs to Sunday. The weather looks pretty miserable for the Eastern Sierra until Friday anyway with thunderstorms and I'm so afraid of lightning.

If I can take 4 days I might still try Sill solo, but I'm kind of up in the air. I guess I'll get out the maps. Actually, a 3-day trip where I can backpack in one day, set up camp, day hike on the 2nd day and return to the same camping spot sounds really good to me. Maybe Merriam/Royce or Johnson/Gilbert....or even Split Mtn from Red Lake.

Kathy
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

KathyW wrote: Shawn: I doubt if I'd be able to get very far ahead if I raced you down the trail. My body just feel like lead lately - I think it has something to do with this awful heat combined with humidity. I have a tough time getting out of bed in the morning and I'm supposed to be heading out backpacking again tomorrow. I'm headed out to the Coachella Valley to work today - that should be nice and warm.
Kathy
Sure sorry you're not feeling too well - I completely understand about the wx having an affect. Either way I do truly feel you have the mental strength and persistence to make so many summits that others (e.g. me) would just throw in the towel.

I'm two weeks away from finishing a large project at work then I can finally get out in the mountains myself.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Kathy- Sorry to hear that but yeah, you can still do it. Can anyone go with you? Are Bruce and Brent still going now or can they go later in the week? I know you've been wanting to do that one for a while. And I hope you feel better and stronger soon!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks Shawn - I'm sure you'll be relieved to get out in the mountains when your project is done.

Sooz - I was just trying to meet Bruce and Brent for summit day - I wasn't going in the same day anyway, so they weren't counting on finding me. I'll figure it out - I don't mind going solo - there are benefits in going solo as there are benefits in going with others. I really don't want to be out there in stormy weather anyway. It's supposed to be clear by Friday - I'll still take the days off but they'll just be different days.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

yeah, lightning scary stuff. Hope ya make it and I'll hope for good weather. Have fun and I'll be looking forward to your pics!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Well, here I sit in my office still. It looks like I'm going to be sitting here most of the time until August 10th when my current project is due but that's okay. That's the nice thing about backpacking and hiking - it usually can be fit around the work schedule when it's within driving distance.

I hope to get out for a day hike on Saturday and then it's going to be soo nice to have some extra time off after the 10th when I'm not worried about a deadline.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

KathyW wrote:Well, here I sit in my office still. It looks like I'm going to be sitting here most of the time until August 10th when my current project is due but that's okay. That's the nice thing about backpacking and hiking - it usually can be fit around the work schedule when it's within driving distance.

I hope to get out for a day hike on Saturday and then it's going to be soo nice to have some extra time off after the 10th when I'm not worried about a deadline.
Same here......currently approaching a hard deadline with much left to do. All i can think about is the second half of August when it's all history and time to get into the mountains.

I heard this on the radio the other day .....

we can change the laws of gravity.....but the paperwork is killing us
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy...Pictures are beautiful! Congratulations on Mount Carillon! I would love to get to that saddle one day...I bet it was stunning looking down on Lake Tulainyo! I think that plauteau is very cool looking!

Thank you for posting :D