Rich Calderwood

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rich Calderwood

Post by sekihiker »

I just ran across the obit of George Whitmore, a member of the first ascent team of El Capitan. It reminded me of a rock climbing class I took at Fresno State in the late 80's. It was led by Rich Calderwood who had also contributed to the El Capitan assault and had a number of first ascents in Yosemite.

We were by the dam at Shaver and someone saw an overhanging lieback. Rich was nearby and had just lit up one of his 100 mm cigarettes. One of us asked Rich how to do an overhanging lieback. In an instant, Rich had made his way to the top of the 20 foot pitch with the cigarette hanging from the side of his mouth. A half dozen of us rookie climbers stood there with jaws dropped.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Rich Calderwood

Post by Jim F »

For the interested reader, in his book "Camp 4" (The Mountaineers,1994) Steve Roper gives an account of the contributions of George Whitmore and Rich Calderwood on the first ascent team of El Capitain. Refer to Chapter 3 "Inside a Cut Diamond:1957-1958."

Bill,

Does Rich Calderwood still live in Sanger (just outside Fresno)?

Jim
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rich Calderwood

Post by sekihiker »

Jim F wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 pm Does Rich Calderwood still live in Sanger (just outside Fresno)?
I don't know exactly where he is but he is still local.