Church Tower in Yosemite

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Church Tower in Yosemite

Post by themtsarecalling »

Forgot to share this write up, may be of interest while the high peaks finally get some snow. Climbed it on Halloween hence the costumes....

https://TheMtsAreCalling.com/church/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Church Tower in Yosemite

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great little climb! I remember a similar climb down valley where I got attacked by ants while belaying in a tree! Everyone thinks of Yosemite Valley as big granite walls - well there is plenty of brush too! This is not the only climb that one has to bushwhack to get to. Thanks for the report. Brings back memories.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:47 am Great little climb! I remember a similar climb down valley where I got attacked by ants while belaying in a tree! Everyone thinks of Yosemite Valley as big granite walls - well there is plenty of brush too! This is not the only climb that one has to bushwhack to get to. Thanks for the report. Brings back memories.
Yeah I think Lower Cathedral Spire is notorious for an ant infested tree, hope to get on top of that one soon!
tiesing
Topix Novice

Post by tiesing »

Here's my summit photo, circa 1982. Thanks for the reminder of what an enjoyable outing it was.
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

tiesing wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:32 pm Here's my summit photo, circa 1982. Thanks for the reminder of what an enjoyable outing it was.
Wow what a great photo! I think some of that webbing is still wrapped around as the summit anchor today! :D