TR: Cathedral Peak, SE Buttress

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Cathedral Peak, SE Buttress

Post by themtsarecalling »

I realize there is not a lack of SE Buttress of Cathedral Trip reports, but I figured I would throw mine into the mix.

Https://TheMtsAreCalling.com/cathedral

Just moved back to the Sierra from Arizona so most of the trip reports on my site are in AZ, particularly the Grand Canyon, but will be adding Sierra write ups pretty much weekly from here on.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Cathedral Peak, SE Buttress

Post by windknot »

Cool report, thanks for sharing! As a non-climber, I didn't realize (but totally makes sense) that a popular climb like Cathedral would have climbers queued up on a weekend summer day with good weather.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

themtsarecalling wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:20 pm I realize there is not a lack of SE Buttress of Cathedral Trip reports, but I figured I would throw mine into the mix.

Just moved back to the Sierra from Arizona so most of the trip reports on my site are in AZ, particularly the Grand Canyon, but will be adding Sierra write ups pretty much weekly from here on.
That's not actually Matthes Crest in your photos, it's Echo Ridge ;).

Cool write up, makes me wish I was hanging out on Cathedral Range granite :/
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
MtnLion

Post by MtnLion »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:11 pm
themtsarecalling wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:20 pm I realize there is not a lack of SE Buttress of Cathedral Trip reports, but I figured I would throw mine into the mix.

Just moved back to the Sierras from Arizona so most of the trip reports on my site are in AZ, particularly the Grand Canyon, but will be adding Sierra write ups pretty much weekly from here on.
That's not actually Matthes Crest in your photos, it's Echo Ridge ;).

Cool write up, makes me wish I was hanging out on Cathedral Range granite :/
Actually, the OP is correct. Matthes Crest is the peak/ridge clearly visible in the background, in the saddle between Echo Peaks and Echo Ridge in the pics. Thanks for posting the TR and pics!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

MtnLion wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:23 am Actually, the OP is correct. Matthes Crest is the peak/ridge clearly visible in the background, in the saddle between Echo Peaks and Echo Ridge in the pics.
Saying this is a picture of Matthes Crest is like showing me a map of the USA and saying it's a picture of New York City. I think the leftmost bump is Matthes and the line on the right goes to Echo #8 (?), but either way...

I suppose I'm being that annoying nit-picking guy...

Matthes.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for posting this great TR! Always nice to have a fresh peak bagging report to read on HST!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Great report. But yes, there is a second photo in the report that also confuses Echo ridge with Matthes Crest. Which doesn't really matter---you won't make that mistake once you get close enough to climb either one.

Nice photos of Budd Lake, Cathedral Lake, etc.

I climbed this about fifty years ago...using the much easier route that you descended...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Although I have climbed the SE Buttress twice, I never had to deal with crowds like you did! I think there was one other pair climbing it one time. I really liked your photos taken late in the day. I do agree, it is a wonderful climb.

The second climb, however, was an unforgettable (and never again repeated) experience. For the first time, I agreed to climb with someone I had never met (although he was recommended by a person I had climbed with). We parked my car at our meeting point and car-pooled to Tuolumne Meadows. So far, the fellow seemed just a bit odd and his car quite the junker. We walked in and as we climbed he became pretty weird (high on pot or something?) After the first pitch he announced he was not up to leading. No problem except I really wondered about his belaying. Each pitch I felt more uncomfortable and was so thankful to reach the top. Driving back was the straw that broke my back. He announced that his car's breaks were not working and we would have to do with coasting and downshift! :eek: I swore I would NEVER again climb with a stranger.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

LOL. Daisy, good advice for everyone!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Post by themtsarecalling »

Thanks for the feedback, I updated the thumbnails in my post! I'll just need to climb Matthes Crest so I don't confuse it again :-D