TR: Mount Geothe via Lamarck Col and Darwin Canyon 08/04 to 08/06/2020

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

TR: Mount Geothe via Lamarck Col and Darwin Canyon 08/04 to 08/06/2020

Post by KathyW »

Last week I did another three day trip to the Eastern Sierra. I backpacked from North Lake, over Lamarck Col, down into Darwin Canyon where I camped on the first day. The second day I climbed up to Mount Geothe and returned to camp. On the third day I backpacked back out and headed home. It is a dry year and the sky was hazy, but it was still a nice way to spend a few days. Some photos I took and maps of my route: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... win-Canyon
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Mount Geothe via Lamarck Col and Darwin Canyon 08/04 to 08/06/2020

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and photos, including some views not often seen (such as the one looking down the north face from summit). There is still something special about the oft-seen view of the sign going over Lamarck Col. There is something special about that, partly from the quality of the view, and partly from the symbolism, I suppose. In all my many hikes in the Sierra, no single spot sends the message "Welcome to the High Sierra backcountry" or perhaps "Welcome to the Seki backcountry" more than that one. I get goosebumps just looking at that photo. I haven't been over Lamarck Col since 1997 but that view is really special. I remember recrossing the Col in '94 with my wife and my wife waving farewell to Seki (or to be even more precise "Farewell to Goddard Country") as we crossed. Thanks for posting.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mount Geothe via Lamarck Col and Darwin Canyon 08/04 to 08/06/2020

Post by astrogerly »

I love that area! We did Lamarck in 2015 during the Rough Fire... there was no snow at the Col. We have some pretty interesting photos form that trip with the smoke (but wonderful mornings). Definitely made our engagement interesting that's for sure - could barely see Spencer from Evolution Lake. Hoping to get back there in September to explore a bit on the other side of Sapphire Lake and also more in the Darwin Bench area. Thanks for the wonderful photos! :)