TR: Deadwood Peak Oct 2019

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Deadwood Peak Oct 2019

Post by SNOOOOW »

Deadwood Pano Labeled.jpg
I had been wanting to head out towards Grouse Lake and Deadwood Peak area for quite some time now and just never made it happen. I had some free time on what was supposed to be a beautiful Autumn Day so I grabbed my bag and headed out. There was construction being done I think on Middle Creek campground, between Upper and Lower Blue Lake so when I arrived I had to drive down to Twin Lake and park there. I ended up hiking the road west toward Meadow Lake and heading cross country North up to evergreen lake and eventually hit the trail which took me to Granite Lake, my 1st stop of the day. Granite Lake is worth a visit in itself if you've never been to the area. I filled up my water and kept heading West on the trail towards Grouse Lake. I decided to go up to Deadwood Peak then head to Grouse and back to my car. Deadwood Peak is a short jaunt uphill from the Grouse Lake trail. Once you get up above Snow Canyon where the water is running down the hill you start to head up off trail towards the summit. It was very windy that day but I bundled up and hung out for a bit. I was able to see 13 or so named peaks that I had sat on top of from Deadwood and I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe 1 day I will get that same experience in the High Sierra too. It's a work in progress :nod: . After my snack I headed down to Grouse Lake and then headed back towards my car. Right around point 8,860' on the 7.5' map I bushwacked down the hill side making my way towards Meadow Lake where I found the road I was on earlier and proceeded to return to my car. I saw 0 people the whole entire day which was nice and found some cool spots to camp along the way also. Now I just need to make a trip over thru Summit City Canyon.
Deadwood from Trail.jpg
Deadwood Register.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.