Question about the pendulum swing between N. Pal and Starlight Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
illyav
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Question about the pendulum swing between N. Pal and Starlight Peak

Post by illyav »

For those who've done the pendulum swing between North Palisade and Starlight Peak - which direction would you recommend in terms of less difficulty?

I know the north to south traverse is the way most people go, but some prefer the south to north, so the move is completed in both directions. I'm trying to decide which way I'd like to approach and attempt it, thanks.
Last edited by illyav on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Question about the pendulum swing between N. Pal and Starlight Peak

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It has been a LONG time ago! But, when I did a traverse from Thunderblot to North Palisade, we fist climbed Starlight, and then went on to North Palisade. I do not recall doing any "pendulum swing". I lead the summit block and just climbed it and belayed the others up. Cannot remember how I got down. But I do not recall anything out of the ordinary. The only glitch was that we fiddled around so long getting everyone to the top of Starlight, that we could not get back to camp before dark, so we spent the night on the mountain two rappels from being down (we had one member who was night-blind). This was a CMC climb lead by RJ Secor- it was billed as a "bivy", so everyone except RJ took up bivy gear. I sat next to RJ, listening to his teeth rattle as he shivered, took pity on him, and gave him my 1-lb sleeping bag. Someone else gave him their extra socks so he could put them on his hands for gloves.
illyav
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question about the pendulum swing between N. Pal and Starlight Peak

Post by illyav »

Thanks Daisy, I suppose there are multiple routes up there, some probably drop low and avoid the swing. I'll continue researching. I read a report where a solo traverser did the swing unroped :O He said he used a sling that was there already.

Thanks for sharing your story too! Envisioning that was sobering.