Peak identification

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Peak identification

Post by mckee80 »

Does anyone know the name of this multicolored gem? We saw it a number of times on our trip, most predominantly looking north from between Pine Lake and Upper Pine Lake. I can’t find a map that has it labeled.

Thanks,
Sean
F66ED6B8-F401-444C-8C3A-AEE73FF3CC95.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Peak identification

Post by TehipiteTom »

Looks like Peak 12245. It's pretty striking in satellite view.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

TehipiteTom wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am Looks like Peak 12245. It's pretty striking in satellite view.
Thanks, I was hoping it had a cooler name :). We didn't see any others like it on our trip.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Funny, I saw that from Puppet Col and thought, "that must be Striped Mtn". Seemed to make sense. But then I looked up where Striped Mtn was when I got home....not even close. But your right, that is a "way cool" looking peak. And though I have a minor in geology from a million years ago, I have no idea what that is. Any geologists want to weigh in???
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Me three! I have long admired the Pine Creek geology, and wondered what the dark rock is? It is shot through with both the standard quartzy veins, and larger dikes that I suspect qualify as "pegmatite dikes." I am guessing the dark rock is one of the ancestral Sierra, meta-volcanics, but that isn't saying much.

100_2315.jpg
Here is Bearzy below a giant boulder from this same mountain.

We have some pretty illustrious geologists at HST, and hopefully one of them will come through with the geologic map of the area.... Giantbrookie?, Mokelumnekid?, geologist and botany guy-Bill/sekihiker? Thanks in advance, Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

A "pegmatite dike". Dang Harlan, you are bringing back terms from a former life :)
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I recall visiting the area with my brother years ago, and both of us just in awe of that peak. We thought it deserved a proper name - not necessarily for the books but something at least for us to refer to. He came up with the name 'Swarm Dike Peak' (with geological origin rather than urban dictionary origin) and it's stuck in my mind ever since (for better or worse).
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by franklin411 »

There's an app called PeakFinder that has line drawings of mountain peaks around the world. You hold your phone up like you're taking a picture, and the app uses GPS and your phone's compass to generate a line drawing of the skyline in front of you, along with the names of the peaks. Works very well, and you can download the skyline file before leaving civilization so you don't have to have internet access to use it.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

My friends and I referred to it as Tiramisu Peak on our August trip to Granite Park. Had me dreaming of cinnamon and espresso.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

So what does it take for an unnamed peak to get named? Tiramisu is nice, but I'm still voting for Swarm Dike Pk.
ts