Peak 12,366' (Trailmaster Peak) and Mount Whitney

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
KathyW

Peak 12,366' (Trailmaster Peak) and Mount Whitney

Post by KathyW »

Another nice weekend in the Sierra - the weather was just beautiful both Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday I met Joe, Sooz, Norma, and Dennis at Horseshoe Meadows and tagged along on their hike to Trailmaster (Peak 12,366'), which is a peaklet along the ridge to Cirque Peak. Some pics:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/3025612#164436850

Saturday evening I went and met Dave at Whitney Portal and then we headed up the Main Trail early Sunday morning. Dave decided he had enough just past Trailcrest and I continued on slowly struggling with the altitude to the summit. I must say that the Whitney main trail isn't one of my favorites, especially on the way down, but the view from the top is very nice. Pics from the Whitney hike:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/3025703#164431319

At the portal on the way out I met two college students who just finished the John Muir Trail - they needed a ride, so I gave them a ride to San Bernardino. They said snow didn't cause much of a problem going over the passes between Yosemite and Lone Pine - they did the trip in 17 days.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy..Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had two nice hiking days! The Cottonwood/Cirque peak area is so dry :eek:
That was very nice of you to give those two a ride and great info about the JMT..thats good to know. :)
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Looks like fun trips, Kathy! Great pictures!!! I'm heading south to the Sierra the end of July.... can't wait!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Really enjoyed your pictures Kathy. Those two JMT'ers are really lucky to have you come along; what a great conversation that must have been heading to SB.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Rosabella: What area are you headed to in July?

It was interesting - Those JMTer's were more into talking about future plans than the JMT trip - maybe because at that age you have so much more future than past. One of them had never been backpacking before - so her first trip was a 17 day long trip - pretty amazing to me.
Mtflyer
Founding Member

Post by Mtflyer »

Kathy, nice hiking with you again.

Finally got my Trailmaster photos posted.
http://joeidoni.smugmug.com/gallery/3046080

Joe
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Kathy -

One of my older sisters has always wanted to do the "High Sierra Camp Loop" but didn't want to go by herself, so I told her I'd go with her. It's not exactly the kind of trip I like.... too many people!

I think it will work out OK, though... my sister likes to go a little slower and hang out with the Ranger and the other people, and she understands that I like to hike by myself. We'll get to spend the evenings together and we'll have fun - they have campfires... I'll bring my harmonica and my sister likes to sing.

This fall, though, I'll be heading south again for a couple family weddings... and I'm hoping to squeeze in another Sierra trip between the two weddings. We'll see. :nod: