Shake Down Cruise 2018

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shake Down Cruise 2018

Post by Vaca Russ »

Sometimes one needs to grab the low hanging fruit to warm up for the peak bagging season. Stevens Peak in Alpine county fit the bill for an “easy, warm up” climb.

There is a dirt road just south of where the outlet stream for Crater Lake crosses highway 88. I drove up to the intersection at 8120 feet and parked the Tacoma. I figure I came to climb the mountain on foot not drive to the summit.

The road up to the lake started out snow free until about 8300 feet where I met a gentleman who was conducting a shakedown cruise of his own. He hit a patch of snow and drifted onto a stump. The slight damage to his brand new Rubicon concerned him and he was a bit flustered.
1 Jeep.jpg
For a more detailed report on this see:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =9&t=18240

It didn’t take long to reach the 90% iced over Crater Lake.
2 Lake1.jpg
From there I saw the ridge leading to the summit.
3 Summit.jpg
The path was snow free the entire way.
4 Ridge.jpg
The wind really picked up once I got the ridge just before the summit.
5 Summit From Ridge.jpg
Here is a view of Crater from above.
6 Crater Lake.jpg
The register is located in a little nook. I was a bit surprised to find a register on this relatively “easy” peak.
7 Register.jpg
I don’t think Brian Voyles is an HST member. He has completed his Ogul list and now appears to be getting Craig Voyles through that list.
8 Brian Voyles.jpg
Scotts Lake is open for fishing!
9 Scotts Lake.jpg
Deso still has some snow at altitude.
10 Dicks and Jack.jpg
Thanks for reading my post!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.