climbing gear ideas

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: climbing gear ideas

Post by longri »

BayHiker wrote:Is something like the Fish Rumpsak an option? It's still not going to feel luxurious, but it might distribute the weight a bit more to your liking.
Butt bags are for sitting at a hanging belay, not while active. They excel in situations where hauling a rigid belay seat is too much since you can pretty much carry one in your pocket. But if you're moving around they make no sense.
BayHiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BayHiker »

longri wrote:Butt bags are for sitting at a hanging belay, not while active. They excel in situations where hauling a rigid belay seat is too much since you can pretty much carry one in your pocket. But if you're moving around they make no sense.
Agreed. Perhaps I misunderstood the OP's needs and how long "rest" would be.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I ended up modifying my chest harness this way. I constructed padding with some soft plastic spacers and covered that in nylon fabric and sewed it up. Then I stuck those to the difficult webbing straps on the sides of the harness and covered it all together with gaffer tape. That way it sticks on pretty good, but it can be removed without leaving adhesive residue if necessary. So, nothing was sewn through the harness that might weaken it. It worked and I did not get any new bruises.