Williamson/Tyndall conditions

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
xiainx
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Williamson/Tyndall conditions

Post by xiainx »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any recent information on the routes up Mt Williamson and/or Mt Tyndall via Shepherd's Pass. Thanks!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Williamson/Tyndall conditions

Post by Vaca Russ »

xiainx wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any recent information on the routes up Mt Williamson and/or Mt Tyndall via Shepherd's Pass. Thanks!
Xiainx,

You have posted three times now. How about an introduction please?

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=9329

Your 3 posts have been for information about Langley, Whitney, Muir, Split, Tyndall and Williamson...whats up? Have you been bagging these peaks? Are you going to climb all of the 14ers? Have you completed any of these climbs this summer?

I would be happy to help you out with your request for information on Tyndall and Williamson.

I got the BETA! :rock:

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

okay, i posted there

I'm going this weekend to try Williamson and Tyndall via Shepherd Pass, and then a couple of days later hiking from Cottonwood Meadows to Onion Valley with attempts at Langley, Muir, and Whitney. In the day in between I was thinking about trying Split Mtn. Haven't climbed any of them this year, so I was hoping for more up-to-date info about the route and access (most relevant for Split) given the snow year we just had. I thought it would be easier to break it into 3 threads than 1.

For Williamson/Tyndall, how are conditions in the chute/chimney on Williamson, any snow/ice? How about the bowl, are the mosquitos gone yet? And on Tyndall, I read there may be some snow lingering on the North Rib, is that still the case?

Thanks!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Check out this post:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 14&t=16727

There is (was) snow on the left side of the north rib on the top leading to the class 2 chute on Tyndall's ridge.

There is snow in the chute on Williamson. It poses no real problems just a little 2 / 3 climbing on the right hand side of the chute.

The chimney is a very fun climb. Shepherd's trail is probably still covered in snow but you can bypass it by climbing around the snow. It is a bit of a pain with a full pack.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

Thanks Russ, super helpful!
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

FYI, if you're going to climb Mt Williamson and you're feeling generous, take a notebook for the summit register. The current register is full, so people were writing in the margins and on scraps of paper and stuff.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

xiainx wrote:FYI, if you're going to climb Mt Williamson and you're feeling generous, take a notebook for the summit register. The current register is full, so people were writing in the margins and on scraps of paper and stuff.
WHAT!!!

What happened to this one:
2.jpg
1.jpg
????????????

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kahil Gibran.
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

It was pretty full when we were up there!