3/11/17 Pyramid Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

3/11/17 Pyramid Peak

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

There were six of us. Two splitboarders, one snowshoer/snowboarder, two snowshoers, and me, snowshoer/sledder. We took the Rocky Canyon route, which was easy to start. There was no high snow bank off the road, and the manzanita was mostly covered in somewhat consolidated snow. This was my first time bringing a sled up a peak. There were many lessons learned. I will take the leashing situation much more seriously next time. That leash will need to be redundant, with locking carabiners! Also, strap the snowshoes to the pack way more securely than seems necessary. While everyone else enjoyed their ride/walk down the peak, I had a lot of up and down on my plate. But there was a sweet sled ride right at the top of Rocky Canyon that made it (almost) worth it. Shallow enough slope that you can even steer the thing and sing Jingle Bells while you're at it. There was an awesome view of Desolation Valley all covered in a white blanket from the peak. But I missed the photo chance while my phone needed charging. (Don't worry Mav, I did not sled off the summit.)

EDIT: hmm, couldn't share the pictures here for some reason. Anyone with a tip, message me. Here's the album link for now.
https://goo.gl/photos/h4JapQi3dGXzt3rYA
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3/11/17 Pyramid Peak

Post by SNOOOOW »

Awesome! I almost went last Friday but everyone wanted to go to Kirkwood. I gotta get out there ASAP
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

IMG_7497[1].jpg
IMG_7501[1].jpg
IMG_7502[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

IMG_7506[1].jpg
IMG_7509[1].jpg
IMG_7513[1].jpg
Very inspiring report. I MUST get up there SOON!

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

woaw Russ, thanks for posting the photos!
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;