Mt. Mildred - 9/5/16

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Mildred - 9/5/16

Post by cefire »

Had a "character building" trip on Mildred yesterday. Needed to get back early in the afternoon so I left the East Bay at around 4:30 and hit Auburn right when the sun was coming up. Instead of taking the Foresthill road to Frenchman lake, I tried out the Mosquito ridge road which turned out to be quite a bit rougher and not nearly as pleasant. Anyway, ended up starting at the Talbot CG.

Instead of taking the long, looping Western States trail, I opted to cross-country up to the ridge following the old logging roads when I could find them. Earlier than I usually start hiking, I thought I might have a reasonable chance of seeing some wildlife. Indeed there was plenty of bear sign along the roads; lots of fresh scat (berries are on the menu these days) along with opened logs, scratched trees, and overturned rocks.

Found what I was hoping to see about an hour into the hike when I ran into a big black bear in willows along what I'm pretty sure was upper Rice Creek. He/she peeked over the 5-6' tall willows about 60' feet away and bolted when catching a glimpse of me. However, the dense brush meant the bear had to struggle pretty mightily to escape - took about 30 seconds of plowing through the brush before I could no longer hear the bear. This might have been as close as I've come to laughing out loud while hiking solo :lol:

Topped out on the ridge about 1:45 in (about 1.4 miles north of Mildred at the highpoint) and then traversed the ridge along loose sand, low manzanita, and small talus to the named summit. On my way back down, I tried to follow the ridge north as long as was feasible but ended up dropping down through heavy manzanita and brush :mad: My shins are black and blue today from the nasty descent. Also accidentally kicked open a honey bee hive while I was in thick willows. My escape was slow (perhaps foreshadowed by my rude interruption of the bear earlier :smirk: ) and I ended up with at least 3 solid stings. However, as I was within 3/4 mile of the car I was rewarded with another glimpse of a bear running down the hill away from me. I don't think it was the same one encountered earlier in the day (seemed quite a bit smaller).

To add insult to literal (but not serious) injury, my tire went flat and I mean "you can hear the air escaping flat" after about 1/4 mile into the long drive back to the highway. Well, no way to get back home in reasonable time now [-X

Drove out on the donut much longer than is healthy, but made it safe and sound [-o<

Memorable trip, but I've got a few regrets :whistle:
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: Mt. Mildred - 9/5/16

Post by Gazelle »

Going big for OGUL? I did that 1 from five lakes basin long day. Good job! How many more do you have?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

I'm now at 42 :unibrow:
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

cefire wrote:I'm now at 42 :unibrow:
I've only got 36! I need to get to work but I've got too many domestic projects holding me back.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

#-o #-o #-o

:mad: :mad: :mad:

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Well let me know if you have any 'gaps' in the schedule. I'm hoping to head out this weekend for either Silver/Highland or Phipps :)