Sierra Challenge 2016

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Challenge 2016

Post by ERIC »

Merged the 10 new topics into one since it's all on the same topic. Please post any additional days to a new post in this thread. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

ERIC wrote:Merged the 10 new topics into one since it's all on the same topic. Please post any additional days to a new post in this thread. [emoji106]
Much thanks, Eric! I prefer it that way and I'm glad to say there were only 10 days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Looks like an amazing adventure. Hard for me to see all those lakes and no one fishing! Then again, I'm an acrophobe, so I am not a fan of bagging peaks.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

rayfound wrote:Looks like an amazing adventure. Hard for me to see all those lakes and no one fishing! Then again, I'm an acrophobe, so I am not a fan of bagging peaks.
Hey man, I said no excuses![emoji1]
There was actually a fishing group of four or so folks most days and I venture up and afar for a variety of experiences. Don't climb the mountain to get to the top; climb the mountain to climb the mountain!

Also, when I was about 11, I oddly developed an intense fear of heights to the point I had to hug the inside of switchbacks on easy trails and couldn't be anywhere near anything indoors or out more than about a ten foot drop. It has been a steady journey from there. I still balk at climbing with airy exposure.

Anyway, for next summer, scheduling difficulties make it hard for me to know if I will do SC again, join an HST gathering, do something else with friends, get my kids out backpacking, all the above, or none of the above. Thankfully solo or family dayhikes are pretty much guaranteed throughout the year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That was a fun read, with a lot of great photo's, thank you posting it Sean. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

maverick wrote:That was a fun read, with a lot of great photo's, thank you posting it Sean. :nod:
Maverick, thanks! I'm sure I'll enjoy running into some of the HST characters out in the Sierra before too long. I did spot my first HST patch near Piute Pass, belonging to stanley otter, on his last day of an impressively long trip.