Bagged Ritter

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bagged Ritter

Post by Vaca Russ »

I finally managed to get to the summit.

Please see the report here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14903
21 Banner and other summit.jpg
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Bagged Ritter

Post by maverick »

Congratulation on your summit Russ. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Nice. Was this your hardest non-technical climb? Are you pursuing roped climbing for other peaks?
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Hobbes wrote:Nice. Was this your hardest non-technical climb? Are you pursuing roped climbing for other peaks?
Hobbes,

This climb was surprising difficult. There are a lot of factors that made it challenging but not being in top physical condition was one of them.

Rainier was probably a tougher climb, but I was in really good shape and had acclimated quite a bit by climbing three 14ers (including Shasta) in the days just prior to climbing Rainier.

This is one of the few mountains that handed me my asset. If you have been keeping up you know I failed to summit Ritter about 4 weeks earlier. Yes, it is a very challenging climb.

I very much do want to pursue rope climbing. The problem is finding a partner and getting your schedules to agree. Cefire and I were going to climb Ritter together, but we couldn't match our schedules.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I recall your Ritter retreat. When I went over the SHR @ N Glacier, I got a good look at the backside of both Banner & Ritter. I think both are out of my league for sure.

If you're interested in developing more technical mountaineering skills, these guys provide some great classes:

http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/

The guide services in Shasta & Rainier (did you use a guide on Rainier?) provide the same kinds of training. I like SMC because I like Ryan Huetter.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Awesome work Russ!! Glad all of the effort paid dividends. Sorry I couldn't join, but I should have a nice TR coming :)