TR: Banner Peak 7-15-16

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Banner Peak 7-15-16

Post by Vaca Russ »

Banner Peak is arguably one of the most beautiful and picturesque mountains in the Sierra. I did not take this picture with Thousand Island Lake in the foreground looking southwest.
1 Banner.jpg
I set up camp below Ritter (on the left) and Banner Peak (on the right) looking west.
2 R & B.jpg
I inserted arrows in this picture showing my route up the eastern face of the saddle between Ritter and Banner.
3 Banner Snow Route.jpg
This is the steep chute I had to climb to gain the top of the saddle.
4 Up Chute.jpg
This is the backside of Banner Peak looking up.
5 Backside Up.jpg
The only real advice I can offer is as follows: once on the backside keep climbing to climbers left. Ignore these false summits. You need to cross the rib to the left before you can see the true summit ridge.
4a False Summits.jpg
This picture from the summit shows a view of Thousand Island Lake on the left.
5a TI and Garnet.jpg
It is a long drop down from the summit.
6 Summit View Down.jpg
The climb back down the backside included this field of soul crushing, loose talus.
7 Down Backside.jpg
The chute down was just as steep but at least is was stable snow and ice.
8 Snow Chute Down.jpg
Thanks for reading my post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Banner Peak 7-15-16

Post by TahoeJeff »

Those pics form the summit are giving me vertigo....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and cool pictures Russ, last time on Banner I could barely see past 1000 Is Lake and Garnet because of smoke from the Tehipite Fire in 08. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

Nice! It looks like you could see Mono Lake from up there. Thanks for the photos.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Awesome climb! Looks like a bit more snow would've made travel easier? Any plans for Ritter (or have you already climbed?)
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

cefire wrote:Awesome climb! Looks like a bit more snow would've made travel easier? Any plans for Ritter (or have you already climbed?)
Cefire, thanks for asking about Ritter. I attempted the summit the next day (7/16) but I took the wrong chute. I will try to post my report today.

Yes, I will try again to summit Ritter, hopefully soon. I am putting out an invite to you to join me. I now am confident I know which chute to take.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Haha, I just read your Ritter TR!! I'm there if you are headed that way again sometime soon :)
Aeropilot
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Aeropilot »

Thank you very much for the intel..! hiking the SHR portion through the Minarets in a couple of weeks ... wow, the snow melted fast!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Fantastic photos and TR Russ; nicely done !
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Banner Peak 7-15-16

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for sharing - congrats on the summit!